From:
Brooke Cortelessa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:43:59 -0400

Thank you to everyone responding about my inquiry if flax seed capsules are GF. It appears they are. I think my reaction was due to the WHEY I added to my diet. I thought WHEY was GF also, but maybe the tub I bought from Vitamin World was not. Below are the responses:

I use ground flax seed.  and do fine.  but the GOLDEN ground flax, I have a
reaction to....

I doubt it contains gluten, but be aware that flax seed oil allergies &
reactions are common.
I get hives from flax seed oil.

BTW, did you know that flax seed oil is the same thing as linseed oil,
BOOT POLISH!  Linseed oil is also used as a hand rubbed finish for fine wooden furniture & musical instruments!  I really don't know how it ever became a health food!
Flax seed is roughage, and it increases the speed with which food passes through your gut.

You need to start with tiny amounts and slowly work up to a
tablespoonful or so.

Most all Vitamin World supplements are gf, but check the label.  Gluten will be clearly listed if it's there.

Flax seed itself is GF and I imagine the capsules are also GF.

I react to ground flax seed - it gives me severe hemorrhoids for a few days. So it an irritate the digestive tract. I've heard that it can irritate people in different ways. So mow I take fish oil.

I eat flax seed every day but I buy the whole seed & use a coffee grinder to grind it & then stir the ground seed in to a glass of orange juice or ruby red grapefruit juice. It is yummy this way, plus GF, plus healthy for me I think.
I have bought the whole seed from two farms that I found on the Internet & they sell direct to customers. The last seed I bought from these guys: http://www.stevensfarm.com/flax.htm

They are a little less expensive then this guy: http://www.heintzmanfarms.com/

The seed from Stevens Farm is a little softer then the seed from Heintzman Farm. They both sell gold flax seed, which is really the only one worth eating. The brown seed tastes awful & is actually used in a lot of industrial chemicals. It is edible but not worth eating on a daily basis. The gold seed has a mellow nutty flavor to it & is actually good tasting compared to the brown seed. The brown seed is also a lot harder then the gold seed.

I usually use about 5 teaspoons of the gold seed in the grinder & grind it for about 10 seconds & that’s it, it is ready to mix in to the juice. The advantage to doing it this way is you get some fiber from the seed along with the other good stuff in the seed.

I've been eating gold flax seed for about 6 years now. My cholesterol stays low, my blood pressure is about 115/64 & I'm 43. I do have celiac disease too & have never had a reaction from this stuff. If anything it seems to help my health every time I take it.

Hope this helps, I do recommend you try it. I don't work for these farms & live in California, just read & correspond with the group.

Flax seed is GF.  Flax seed meal is suppose to be GF as well...but depends
if ground in an uncontaminated mill or not....