From:
Ellen Allard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ellen Allard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 2009 08:33:19 -0700

Dear All,

I deliberately didn't list the name of any manufacturer in my subject line because I don't want to play favorites. What I will share with you is this...

I've tried Pamela's and Bob's Red Mill and Trader Joe's packaged brownie mix. They're all decent. I'd serve them any day.

Several days ago, I made Betty Crocker's brownie mix, subbing 1/4 cup oil for the butter. The finished brownies were reminiscent of Dunkin Hines brownie mix, lo those many pre-GF years ago. But here's what I noticed - when I poured the dry mix into the mixing bowl, I couldn't believe how much I could literally see the granulated sugar. I'm wondering if, in order for them to make it delicious and appealing, they add lots of sugar to the mix, because, while they were nice and fudgy, the finished product was unbelievably sweet.

I've also made GF brownies from scratch - those are by far the best. And that is what I'd like to recommend. I know we're busy - many of us lead incredibly full lives and who the heck has time to make food from scratch when mixes are easy to obtain and easier to make than pulling out all your different ingredients to make from-scratch brownies. But I think that you can then control the amount of fat and sugar that goes into your brownies. In fact, if you do some online sleuthing, there are lots of substitutions you can make to lower the fat and sugar content of your brownies. There are even brownie recipes that use black beans in them - sounds gross, doesn't it? But people swear by them!

I'm all for supporting companies, large or small, that are trying to provide us with products that replicate what we used to eat pre-GF. But I'd like to suggest that before you buy from the big behemoths, first, if you're in a pinch and need something quick, please support the smaller companies who don't have the big bucks behind them, who were there at the starting line when nobody else was. And furthermore, if you have time, pull out your mixing bowls and have fun playing in your kitchen. Make your own treats from scratch. There are plenty of great recipes in GF cookbooks and GF magazines and online at blogs and other websites.

Just my two cents:).

Regards, Ellen
it's so easy to be gluten free!
  http://iamglutenfree.blogspot.com/