From:
Marge Johannemann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:47:47 -0400

Yesterday I received an email from one of our list mates in response to
the articles I posted on distillation. This is what she had to say about
flavorings.

   "According to a local liquor distributor who did research for me,
   distilled products cannot have anything added back into them after
   distillation or they would become cloudy and spoil.  So, the main
   concern that grain may be added back into a liquor for flavor, doesn't
   hold water!  Surely there are exceptions, but this makes sense to me."

This makes sense to me, too. If anybody has more scientific
information on flavorings in spirits or vinegar, please post with your
source(s). Maybe we can also put this controversy to rest.

Marge Johannemann
Louisville, Kentucky