From:
jim and sarah rose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jim and sarah rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2007 10:52:35 -0500

Listserve members,

Beth Hillson has recently sent info about eating in London which
takes care of half of my summary.  Thanks, Beth!

I found it easy to eat in London.  I never had a chance to call
ahead, except for the 3 group meals, but I always spent some time
talking with the manager or chef and never had a problem.  They
always seemed aware of Celiac and what the GF diet meant (but it is
not like eating in Ireland where they even bake bread for you).

I wanted to add both places where we ate, and places recommended
before our trip but where we didn't find time to try.

The three places where we had group meals, where the restaurants were
notified ahead, and I had very successful meals are these:

The Seashell Restaurant on Lisson Grove

Edward Moon on Chapel Street in Stratford-Upon-Avon

Biagio Cafe Ristorante near Picadilly Circus

We also ate at the Duke of York pub where the chef came out to
discuss my meal, very good meal. I think this place was in the
Mayfair area, very close to where 'Wicked' is playing.

I want to underline the joy of a quick lunch from Marks and Spencer
"Simple Foods".  These are all over the city and if you spend a
moment reading ingredients you will find you have several choices for
a quick salad lunch which is all we had time for anyway.  You can
then sit out on the steps of St Paul's or where ever you find
yourself at noon and enjoy watching the crowd.

I also found it easy to eat in the museum restaurants.

Now for the places recommended that I didn't get to try.  This trip
was more about theatre than food.

The Oratory - near Harrods
La Gaffe - in Hempstead
Holly Bush pub - also Hempstead
The Souk - fast food Arabian near Trafalgar Square
Da Mario"s - Covent Garden
The Globe Restaurant - near the Tate Modern
Brown's Hotel - where they will make a GF Tea for ;you if you call in
advance.

Also in Oxford:

Quod Bar and Grill on High Street
Ashmolean Museum - good cafe in basement
La Tasca in the Old Prison site
The Living Room - upscale in old Prison complex
Petit Blanc on Walton St.
Branca on Walton St.
Lebabnese Al Shami
Loch Fyne

Many thanks to all who responded to my plea for help!!!  So many
great suggestions, so little time.  I'm ready for another trip to
London!

Sarah