Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 18:14:01 -0600

Hi All--

I was watching the news two nights ago about the big issue of getting trans
fats out of our diets and how restaurants are replacing their trans fats
with soybean oil. I don't know about the public in general, but there are a
lot of celiacs who are sensitive to soy (and isn't soy one of the major
allergens?). Also, what does this mean to those of us with hypothyroidism?

Not long ago, I wrote to Kinnikinnick about the number of products in which
they use soy. I received a kind and informative response, acknowledging that
Kinnikinnick is constantly looking for ways to replace soy in their foods as
they recognize soy is a big issue, not only for celiacs and as an allergen,
but as a problem for those with hypothyroidism.

From reliable sources, my understanding is that the push to use more soy is
primarily from the soybean growers themselves, not necessarily the food or
medical communities.

This is just an observation I've made from news stories. I agree that trans
fats are bad for us, but does anyone else see a problem with the use of
soybeans? If I'm missing something, please let me know.

Cheers,
Ayn in Alabama

*******
*******