Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:15:30 -0700

I know that positive stories are not popular on this list and that negative
tirades are 'king' here but I have to briefly tell you about my experience
with hospital dieticians.

I have been to our local hospital here in Port Angeles, Washington several
times in the last seven years.  This is a very small hospital because Port
Angeles has only 17,000 people.

When I was admitted to the hospital  they asked me if I had any allergies
and I told them I was a celiac.

Shortly after I was put to bed the dietician came to my bedside with a list
of food that she routinely had in the kitchen that she was positive
contained no gluten.  She read them off and I told her which of these things
I liked.  She told me that she would be sure that all pots and pans used to
cook my food would be thoroughly cleaned and that my food would not be put
on a food cart but would be delivered directly to my bed from the kitchen.

She told me that I could make special requests by writing them on the back
of my food slip and leaving it on my tray.

Relatives can arrange in advance to eat with patients in private rooms so my
friends chose to have food like mine just out of curiosity.  Everything they
served me was gourmet and cooked to a turn.

Knowing that I didn't have to worry about a challenge while I was in the
hospital made it possible for me to relax.

Is it possible that people that are having positive experiences simply don't
write about them for the list.  I think a positive attitude is essential to
proper adjustment to celiac disease and I would like to see more positive
stuff posted here.  I am glad that I have celiac disease.  It keeps me from
eating junk food and my weight is exactly correct every day.  Natural food
is better than processed food!

Joe Clemens, Port Angeles, Washington, USA     [log in to unmask]