From:
"Hilda S. Mitrani" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hilda S. Mitrani
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2011 13:40:51 +0000

Thanks to those who responded to this query and all those excellent posts from Archives. The two responses I received are below. Hilda

---------

First Trip to Alps... Summary below. The Italy information in the ListServe Archives was incredibly helpful. Thanks, everyone!

---------

Europe's much easier than the US. Restaurant people are more likely to know ingredients there than here, and people in general are more aware of Celiac there than here. Don't worry. If you don't speak the languages, take cards.

This may or may not be helpful. I was in Switzerland (Lucern) and Austria in October/November of last year. I brought a bunch of my own food (although having a third suitcase cost me a fortune) but it was worth it - peace of mind. I never had access to a microwave so I would say bring things you can make with hot water like oatmeal and instant noodles (Simply Asia but not all are GF). I asked about a microwave everyplace we went and nobody had them. I also brought a bunch of protein bars and snacks I was sure were GF.

The other thing that was helpful was having a market nearby (they seem to be all over). I don't speak or read German so it was kind of hard but I printed restaurant cards in German to bring with and I also used Google translator to translate key words (wheat, barley, rye, etc., etc.) into German. That was helpful when I was in a market and trying to read labels.

I was in Switzerland for four days and the rest of the time I was in Austria. I ate out twice in Austria and had good luck both times. The place we stayed in Austria had very helpful front desk staff ; they knew what Celiac Disease was and were very helpful getting me to a restaurant that could serve me safely.

*******
*******