From:
kathy bergeron <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kathy bergeron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:24:11 -0400

Thanks to everyone for their responses. It appears that just about EVERYONE
loves "Glutano Tagliatelle" as an egg noodle replacement.I think I received
over a dozen suggestions to try this brand over any other. I went ahead and
ordered a few bags online since I could not find it locally. the order just
came in today. they look just like regular egg noodles and I look forward to
trying them out.
    summary of responses:
    1) Glutano Tagiatelle
    2) haven't seen any around BUT you could take corn tortillas which are
available and slice them into what ever size around...and..you wouldn't have
to cook them up, either.  The sauce would heat them up
    3)Theresa states: Here is the recipe I use to make Homemade noodles.
The family loves them.
        2/3 cup tapioca flour
        2/3 cup cornstarch
        4 Tablespoons potato starch flour
        1 tsp. salt
        2 Tablespoons xanthan gum
        4 large eggs
        2 Tablespoons oil
    In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients.  Beat lightly eggs
and oil and add to dry ingredients.  This will feel much like pastry dough.
Work into ball.  Knead a minute or two and divide into 2 balls.  Place ball
on GF floured bread board.  Roll as thin as possible, almost see through.
Take pizza cutter and cut into long strips, flour and stack on eachother,
Cut into thin strips, as they rise as they cook.  There is no drying time
for the noodles, they are ready to cook.  If you would like to make ahead of
time, place in zip-lock bag and freeze.I use these for beef and noodles as
well as chicken and noodles.I cook my beef or chicken in water(broth) with
seasoning of your choice. When meat is tender and cooked, I bring the broth
to a gentle boil, add the noodles and cook 10-20 minutes, depending on
thickness of noodles.I would think you could cook the noodles in broth, then
use in the stroganoff recipe.
4)http://www.hoffnersglutenfree.com/ these noodles are exactly like egg
noodles!  They made me think of stroganoff when we made them! Their breads
are good too!
5)We make a gluten free egg noodle product. We usually sell our noodles
fresh, but, if you are not in our area, we could dry them and send  them to
you. They are great for chicken noodle soup. We serve them in  our cafe in
chicken soup and non gf people are recurring customers  for the dish. We are
in Davis Ca. We also have ravioli and can  provide lasagna noodles.
Rose Anne DeCristoforo Farmer's Kitchen Cafe/Bakery A gluten free/casein
free facility
6)I use the Tinkyada - Fettucini Style - brown rice pasta. . . For the beef
stroganoff, break the fettucini into fourths and cook it according to the
directions.  For chicken noodle soup, break the fettucini into fourths and
add it to the boiling stock.
7)I have made great egg noodles but substituting sweet rice and tapioca
flour for wheat.  May be lacking in nutrition but taste great.
8)Cornitos are WONDERFUL  - only available at Gluten Free Trading Company as
far as I know.
9) stock up on gluten-free, potato egg noodles during Passover time in the
spring. They don't go bad.I don't know if there are any good substitutes
during the rest of the year. Tinkyada brown rice pasta for my lasagne is the
most realistic noodle flavor, but it's not suitable for Beef Stroganoff.
Perhaps Tinkyada makes a version that is like an egg noodle.The othergf
pastas and noodles people use, while they rave about them (and I make do,
when I'm desparate) really taste gooey.Bette Hagman has an excellent recipe
for homemade pasta/noodles in either her first or second cookbook.
10)When I make stroganoff, I use either rice orTinkyada linguini (flat)
noodles.  And when I madechicken noodle soup, I had used Tinkyada noodles,
too, but recently tried ThaiKitchen strirfry rice noodles,which were also
very good.  Both products are popular
with my family (2 diagnosed Celiac teens, 1 possible Celiac husband and non
Celiac myself).  I also make chicken pot pie, but use the leftover filling
the next day, heated and ladled over linquini noodles. Haven't tried the
Thai noodles yet.
11) I buy some delicious rice noodles from Ralph's supermarket in Long
Beach, CA  RAD-NA noodles, the company is:  7 Lotus
    P.O. Box 46700 Los Angeles, CA 90046. They have different sizes of
noodles, the ones closest to an egg noodle are called fettucinni rice stick
noodles.They are a white rice noodle, almost opaque, about 1/2 inch in
width. They cook up just like the egg noodles I remember and are good in
casseroles, just buttered with salt & pepper, etc.
12) I've found that Notta Pasta takes like an egg noodle.  They have
fettucine and linguine and they taste great.

Thanks again everyone!