From:
DIANE E WILSON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DIANE E WILSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 14:20:32 -0500

Thank you so much to all the kind and thoughtful emails in response to my
problem.  My problem is that I sometimes get diarrhea immediately after eating
lunch, often left-overs.  I have been on a strict diet for going on a year
following several years of denial during which I only eliminated the obvious
sources of gluten.  The most suprising thing was that I got about 5 emails from
people experiencing the same problem, one who does not even have celiac.

This is a long list and I can’t do everything right away.  But I will start a
food diary and make sure I don’t have contamination in the home.  I will try
the “formula” and the homeopathic remedy.  I’ll see a doctor and ask for the
blood test and then try to follow up on some of the other medical problems
suggested below.  At least now I know more specifically what to look for.  I
will cut back or eliminate left-overs for lunch.

Again, thank you.  If reading this sets off any light bulbs or disagreements,
I’m still open to suggestions.  I hope this helps the others like me.

I will list the causes/suggestions in no particular order, with some quotes from
the emails I received.

1)      Contamination from toaster ovens, cutting boards (even when scrubbed clean),
from containers like peanut butter.
2)      Get help from significant other in pinpointing problem.
3)      Claustridium difficile
from a listmate who was having chronic diarrhea:
“I had a stool test done and I came up positive for Claustridium difficile.
It's a pathogenic bacteria and is VERY common.  My GI doc and my naturopath
both recommended a 10 day course of flagyl.  That was 5 months ago.  My life
has so easy since then!  I had one minor recurrance of diarrhea, and I
"treated" it by upping my dose of acidopholus.  My naturopath told me I should
stay on acodopholus twice a day for the rest of my life.  Seeing how great I
feel now, I'm convinced that I had the C. difficile infection for well over a
year.”

4)      Homeopathic remedy for diarrhea called verbutrum album

“Vetratrum Alb 30 is taken after you ingest gluten...at the first sign of a
cramp or gurgle, put 2 pills under your tongue and let dissolve.  Usually you
only need that one dose, but newbies may need more.  I carry it with me all the
time.  You can get it any health food store for five dollars.”

5)      Keep peptobismol handy.  Take it for about a week to help heal the gut.
6)      Get another blood test to determine if it’s gluten or not.
7)  Try a plain diet until you feel better then add foods back in. One suggested
meat and veggies and another below:
                “No breadcrumbs, sauces etc.  Nothing with modified starch?  Try to stick to
plain meat fish vegetables and salads.  Use fresh lemon for dressing and olive
oil instead of dressings.”
8)  Food diary.  Keep track of everything you eat, the time you eat and how you
feel.  Note the time you get sick.  Rate the level of pain/discomfort.
9)      The second time of eating something your body reacts to can be when the pain
comes.
10)       Lactose intolerance.
11)       It can take years to feel better on the diet.  I could be paying the price
for my years of denial.
12)       Other food intolerances:  lactose, soy, eggs, vinegar, fermented foods.
Also unexpected intolerances like horseradish, sea food, fast food, lettuce,
spinach, green beans.
13)       Find a competent GI doctor.
14)       See a Naturopathic.  Could be hypochlorhydia, bacteria, yeast overgrowth.

“Here’s a website to find a holistic MD in your area:  http://acam.org   Here's
website to find a naturopath in your area: http://www.naturopathic.org  “

15)       Read "Eat Right For Your Type"  i.e. blood type
by Dr. Peter D'Adamo (this book is not for celiacs but could be helpful).
16)       Look further back in time, a gluten reaction is not that fast.
17)       Check into hidden sources of gluten, like lipstick and licking envelopes,
and food formulation changes.
18)         Join a support group.
19)       Offending foods, if not containing gluten, may be tolerated by eating them
only once in every five days.
20)       The offending food may have “slipped by” during an earlier meal due to a
food eaten first that coated the stomach.
21)       Bacteria formation on the left-overs, especially meat.
22)       Probiotics, kefir in particular.
23)       Baked goods can cause bacterial overgrowth.
24)       Types of mold can trigger reactions.
25)       “Take the "formula" to heal the gut...with each meal take two
capusles....one of L-glutamine 500mg and one of probiotics complex.  they will
heal the gut.  you'll feel better within a few days.  If you just do a gf diet,
the gut heals in 3 to 5 years....whereas on the fomula, it heals in 6 months
altho you should keep on it forever to keep the gut healthy and forestall colon
cancer.”
26)       Avoid the controversial foods like distilled vinegar, oatmeal, canola oil,
Pam.  Enough people react to them to question them.
27)       Leaky gut
28)       Check the archives on how to test yourself for food allergies.

Diane in PA