From:
"Patricia L." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:32:02 +0700

Hello Listmates,

Ok, I’m evaluating what everyone said about keeping weight on with the GF
diet … and making a brand new grocery list.

Received many replies, so will send in two parts. If I receive more replies,
will summarize those as well.

THANKS to everyone who answered. I appreciate it very much.

[By the way, many asked if my children are celiac…no, they are not, and yes,
that does make things a teensy bit complex.]
____________
One person said, “It will stop once your intestines are healed and then the
weight will stick. Remember it can take three years for that to happen and
once it does, you'll be wondering what to do to take the weight off!”

A nutritionist scolded me for “poor dietary habits” and told me to…see a
nutritionist! Although I have, and that yielded nothing, for she knew little
about celiac disease. [She did, however, advise me to eat avocados.]

Many shared their own experience. For instance, it was interesting to hear
this: “Some people take a little longer than others to get past all of the
elements of Celiac disease and the effects on the body after going GF. I am
3 years GF and still dealing with issues that are related to the long term
effects of the disease. You also may take a little longer.”

Several people said they have the opposite problem from mine…keeping weight
OFF. Apparently more respondees struggle to keep weight off than to keep it
on.

One said, “Eating more, while certainly helpful, isn't the whole picture.  I
found that exercise, mainly lifting weights, helped me to gain curves and
look healthy again.  Also, walking/running and all physical work gives me a
better appetite and makes me take in more calories.”

One person said: “The hardest thing for me is having to depend on cooking
all my food, not being able to use takeout.”  Boy, do I relate to this!!!
Goodbye Upper Crust pizza and Chow's Chinese, hello Ian's Chicken Nuggets!

Many responders clearly have accepted that they absolutely must COOK a lot
to eat well.

Here are some specific dietary suggestions, many of which I intend to follow
to a T:

“Also have trouble keeping weight on. Genisoy Ultra XT is a GF protein
supplement I use.
Stir fry veggies and tofu and put over pasta or grains. Bob's Red Mill TVP
is GF and makes a good soy/GF 'meat' sauce.
Tempeh also mixes well with tomato sauce to put over grains.
Millet and quinoa do not take as long to cook as rice - substitute for rice
for variety.
Try soy cheese - there a few varieties that are GF - Soya Kaas for one.
All nuts are GF.  Buy unprocessed in bulk and there is no need to worry
about gluten-containing additives.  Don't forget about seeds also. Nuts and
seeds can be roasted with Braggs Liquid Aminos for a different taste.
When making soups or stews - add some grains to bulk up the quality
calories.
Beans and rice - there are many beans that work and they are all GF. Use
canned beans to save cooking time. These are just some suggestions to get
you thinking.”

“The only thing that has worked for me is eating lots of nuts between
meals….I do eat a carbohydrate snack before bed, or sometimes a couple of
scrambled eggs.”

One kind soul suggested: “Get some GF brown rice protein at Wild Oats (GF
and vegan) and put a couple of tablespoons in a smoothie (frozen fruit + soy
Silk Milk) and it will pack it on.  It has 110 or 120 calories per two TBS.
Plus, it's protein and good for you.  Or, you could add it to hot cereal
along with soy milk and raisins.  Cook the hot cereal in soy milk instead of
water. Get some Boomi bars to eat in your car while taking the kids around.
They are GF and full of nuts and dried fruits as well as some allowed
grains. Keep some trail mix handy to eat when you're on line or watching
TV.  I wish I had your problem. But, I'll admit I was underweight when I was
lifting and hauling around heavy babies all the time as well as working full
time.”

“I often throw a sweet potato in the oven, boil my vegetables, quickly fry
up a hamburger or bake a chicken, all simple. doable, and delicious with gf
condiments.”

There were many positive comments about Tinkyada pasta—one person suggested
I add pesto and parmesan one suggested I add garlic and olive oil. We
regularly do this with Ancient Harvest pasta, but will try Tinkyada for a
change!

“You might want to try some of the protein powders that you stir into juice
or milk sub. I got a g.f. rice one at www.iherb.com quite inexpensively. The
service there is good, lots of information is listed & shipping on order
over $20 is free.  You need to start tracking your calories.  When my son
began running cross country years ago, he was very tired.  When we crunched
the number, we found he was running 5-8 miles a day on about 1200
calories...Not nearly enough for his activity & age.  If you aren't eating
enough calories, you probably aren't getting enough vitamins.  I like the
Freeda brand because they have thiamine HCL, which is a better source than
than thiamin mono-nitrate. www.freedavitamins.com “
“You mention that you have a busy life and on occasion you might not have
full meals. Look for some energy bars to keep in the frig and use some of
those. I use an energy bar that is GF but not lactose free, but they don't
bother me (I am lactose intolerant). Check out www.thinkproducts.com. I
purchase at my local grocery Raley's. Also see the other post this evening
on another bar called purefit (I think) Poster said tasted good. I also
purchase GF Breakfast Bars at Raley's that are put out by Glutino. They
taste good and help fill me up. 1.800363.diet   [log in to unmask]   Canadian
company”

END OF PART ONE.