From:
Jim Barron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 1996 11:55:48 -0500

In my book, labels that say "does not contain ......"  are totally
worthless.         If they don't specifically exclude ALL of the things to
which you react (and in ALL forms!)  you're still just playing "celiac
roulette".

I buy only products that list ALL ingredients on the label -  I couldn't be
less interested in a list of SOME of the things they don't contain.     I
take risks only where clearly necessary (urgently needed antibiotics,
etc.).     True, my lifestyle is very limited.     But I no longer suffer
episodes of months of illness while trying to sort out what has been
recently changed in what use to be safe.

Being healthy affects how you feel ALL of the time.   Why sacrifce that for
a few fleeting moments of pleasure (which could be obtained from other
sources!) or convienence.

If this causes some inconviences, your FRIENDS will understand.   If anyone
has a problem with it, that's THEIR problem, let THEM deal with it.
Nobody would have the extreme bad taste to complain to someone in a
wheelchair that they were making them feel bad for enjoying walking while
the other person couldn't.   But they do the equivaltent to celiac's all
the time.

Jim Barron
Chapel Hill, NC