Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 00:00:08 -0800

I just wanted to chime in here on the tax thread. As far as medical deductions go (in the USA) you can claim medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. generally, there is no cap for this, but I'm not sure what the specific rules are for special foods. (Interestingly enough, weight-loss programs and stop-smoking programs, if prescribed by a doctor, are also deductible as medical expenses.)

Many of you have voiced your concern about not being able to deduct your expenses. There is a different way to think about it. When doing your taxes you can either take an itemized deduction or the standard deduction. You generally take the greater of the two. Medical expenses fall under itemized deductions. So, if you cannot deduct your food expenses because you don't have enough or whatever, you will probably take the standard deduction and will be deducting MORE than your food expenses. This is assuming, of course, that you are not itemizing your deductions for another reason. I know that none of us like paying taxes. Think of it as "rent to live in this country" (my sister-in-law says this).

Angela Taylor
(worked for a while as a tax preparer in Broken Arrow, OK)