From:
Lynn Pipher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynn Pipher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:08:08 -0500

Depression and "brain fog" were 2 huge symptoms for me, yet I never read
too much about the relationship between these symptoms and celiac in the
literature.  Interestingly, the woman who sits next to me at work is also
celiac.  She and I share a similar symtpom:  if we are exposed to gluten,
we get severely depressed (on the verge on crying nonstop) for 24 hours.
This syptoms eclipses the GI symptoms for me.

I also have osteoporosis, and will start on Fosomax next summer if I don't
see improvement.  I am already doing lots of supplements and have a fairly
good diet (whole grains, veggies, some meats), and they have made a huge
difference.  I have a brother who has bi-polar disorder, and while I
suspect it's gluten, he refuses to get tested. I wish you continued good
luck on your celiac journey, a fellow traveler,
------
One really nice thing is that we do tend to lose our taste for the junk we
had become accustomed to - when you eat only real food, that other stuff
just is no longer appetizing, nor satisfying. I'm always glad to have a
reminder re supplements because that is one thing that I know makes a real
difference but that I cannot manage to stick with, so then I forget to do
it at all. I often feel that any given regime ends up being toxic to some
extent, or just not right at any rate, and, perhaps that really is often
the case, as it stands to reason that our needs change along with our diet,
activity, and emotions.
Happy Thanksgiving to you, too. Oh and its been a long while since I've
been delving into all of that stuff, but you might be interested in
books/website for Carl Pfeifer, M.D., author of such books as Mental and
Elemental Nutrients; I think his group is called the Brain-Bio Center,
though I'm also thinking that they changed their name at some point. They
do evaluations and custom design supplements, but I never got so far as to
take my son there - the discovery of gluten free and digestive enzymes was
such a big help for him (though clearly right now he needs some B vitamins
or something - I think Fall is a time for a funk for so many of us, there
should probably be a tradition of a B supplement beverage in the Fall...).
------
I have ordered it from Amazon.  I have done the chemical anti-depressant
route.  My CD MD says it just depletes the seratonin in your brain.  Have
you checked out the website www.detoxxbook.com?   I think that is the right
address.  My doctor is following this protocol and it deals with
neurotoxins and healing it through nutrition and various infusions and
supplements.  And, boy, does it work!!!
Happy healing to you too!

The end - I hadn't received any new responses, so I thought I'd better
summarize - I received a lot of good information.

Excuse me - I take that back - it's far from the end - it's really only the
beginning - it so nice to have been involved in this list rather than peer
in from the outside!   Thank you for being so welcoming and I encourage
anyone else to contribute their 2 cents worth - it feels GOOD!

Lynn - feeling like I'm very rich right now - thanks guys.