From:
Deni Hansen-Gray Weber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 22:48:16 -0500

Gayle Kennedy wrote

>The big difference between people who have peanut allergies and people who
>have celiac disease, is that an ingested peanut can cause anaphlactic (I
>don't know how to spell that!) shock and sudden death, while ingested
>gluten usually causes injury to villi and diarrhea, followed by slow death
>over many years.  I realize that a few celiacs have the same kind of
>anaphlactic shock reaction to gluten, as well.

Oh dear friends, please do not discount celiac as a life-threatening
condition.  Yes, it is true.  Not all Celiacs develop severe immediate
when or where or to what.

I had been diagnosed with Celiac for three years before my crisis came.
Flour in mashed potatoes. And it only took one bite.  My throat swelled, as
did my tongue.  I was lucky to have a bendryl type medication with me and
an emergency room close by.  I was hospitalized for three weeks going in
and out of shock.     For me, celiac is as deadly as peanuts, or any other
allergy.  But I had no clue.

It can happen.  It does happen.  My step-son's girlfriends aunt literally
dropped dead after taking a gluten containing medication.

Check out

http://www.csaceliacs.org/pharmaceuticals.html

"Gluten intolerance in the celiac patient is described as a pseudoallergic
response.  The pseudoallergic or anaphlyactoid reaction is different from an
immune-mediated syndrome which may require repeated exposure to produce an
effect.  In the pseudoallergic or anaphylactic reaction, the reaction may
occur as a result of a single exposure.  Acute reactions to the causative
substance are produced by direct release of mediators from mast cells and
basophills resulting in the classic end-organ effects that these mediators
exert.  Direct mediator release can then occur without evidence of a prior
sensitization period.  This nonimmune reaction is immediate, often severe,
and is therefore referred to as anaphylactoid.  Because it is
nonimmunological, it may occur the first time that a person is exposed to the
respective agent.  These reactions are of further interest and concern
because they can be elicited by very small and minute doses of the offending
substances."

I don't mean to frighten anyone.  But you need to respect the potential of
*this* disease.

I do.

Now.

deni weber

Valparaiso, IN  USA

It is seldom wise to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you
happen to live near one.