From:
Rebecca Goyan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:50:39 -0700

Hi!

This post is in regards to two questions.

In regards to potlucks, I have a good story to relate.  In October, I
published an article in the Canadian Lutheran magazine, which is sent to
all lutheran churchs (ELCIC) in Canada.  The article was about communing
gf and I explained what people can't have, why, and how some suggestions
on how to deal with this.  Interestingly enough, the people from the
church I grew up in all read the article and recognized my name.  When
they started talking, they realized that there are two other people in
this tiny church that also can't have gluten.  First they wanted to know
where to get the rice crackers, so that I can have communion when I go
home for Christmas!  Then they started being concerned that these two
people really couldn't participate in potlucks.  My mom piped up at this
point to state that she had a gluten free cookbook and could teach
anyone who wanted to learn how to cook for these people.  She also
stated that she would make a point of bringing gf food to potlucks from
now on so that these two people could come and at least be able to eat
her food.  It will be interesting to see what comes of this, but it all
started from one little article - maybe you could try this in your
church's national magazine and see what happens!

On another note, I noticed that most of the people responding to the
children question already had children.  What if you had considered this
before you had children - and really, it's a moot point by this time
because you already have them.  I have a genetic condition that can end
with me.  While this won't necessarily stop me from having children, it
certainly makes adoption look that much better doesn't it?  With so many
children out there who need homes, why would I want to risk passing on
celiac?  Not that I would want to stop anyone from having their own
children if they chose to, of course, and I love children, especially
the 7 month old, teething and trying to walk, holy terror also known as
my sweet little nephew that I get to babysit this week (while his
parents go out and try to remember what it was like not to have a baby)!

Just food for thought - at least that doesn't have to be gf!

Becky :)
Calgary, Alberta