From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:20:51 -0500

Well, talk about mixed results!  I asked for input on whether or not folks
ate Ore-Ida’s tator tots despite the fact that they aren’t on any GF product
list.  The ingredients, however, read okay for a GF diet.

Out of approximately 20 replies, I received the following breakdown:

9 said that Ore-Ida tator tots are GF and eat them with no problems.

1 said they are NOT GF.

6 said there are possible cross contamination issues and prefer to eat
another GF brand.  The one most often mention was Cascadian Farms spud
puppies.  Some said these were better than tator tots. I will have to look
for this brand.

I have not heard from the Ore-Ida company yet, but I will post their answer
to my questions about which ingredient(s) make their tator tots supposedly
unsafe for a gluten-free diet once I have one.   In the meantime, here’s a
sampling of what some folks had to say about them:

Tator Tots used to list wheat on their ingredients list. We eat Cascadian
Farms Spud Puppies instead. Wild Oats and Krogers carry them if you have
these stores in your area.

I've looked at the ingredients and they look safe to me. Possibly it's time
to write the manufacturer & ask.  Previously, they have ALWAYS listed wheat
as an ingredient.  Some of the generics had corn flour & we ate those w/out
problem.

 I have no experience but if they aren't on the company's own GF list, I
certainly wouldn't eat them.

I just made a nice dinner for my boyfriend 2 weeks ago and we had Ore Ida
tater tots and I was fine. I am very sensitive to gluten and react in 1 hour
.Good luck! (just in case, there are "all natural" tater tots in the health
food stores if you didn’t want to take the chance)

No wheat on the label would indicate a change in ingredients, & possibly the
g.f. status.

I eat them occasionally, both the plain and the onion.  I like their labels
because they tell you if there's an allergen, such as wheat or soy.  Neither
of these packages lists wheat, so I feel comfortable eating them.  I have
not gotten sick from Tater Tots.

Ore Ida Tater Tots are not Gluten Free. They do have gluten. However,
Cascadian Farms has a product very similar, as does Whole Foods 365 Brand,
which some people refer to as Tater Tots.  Both the Cascadian Farms and 365
are gluten free and safe to eat.

You can also try the Kosher section.  There are potato cakes that are the
same thing (can't remember what they are called or the brand).  The kosher
stuff tends to be safer for label-readers.  Frankly, I see nothing wrong
with reading labels if you know what you are doing.

Yes, we eat Ore-Ida tator tots.  But do be careful there is one flavor that
is gf and one flavor with gluten added.  I haven't had them for awhile but I
think it has onions and other things added to it.  So read the label to make
sure you get the correct package.

I tried them a couple of times, I think I saw somewhere that they are gf.  I
got sick, so they are still sitting in my freezer waiting for someone who
likes them without celiac to visit!  I have a lot of allergies, so I can't
be sure what I was reacting to.

Ore-IdaTator Tots are gluten free.  I have not had any reaction to them and
I have been a celiac for 14 years.