From:
Amy Blumenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 12:43:27 EST

I am seeking information for my mother-in-law, who lives in Covington, LA,
across the lake from New Orleans.  Her granddaughter (my daughter) is a
biopsy-diagnosed celiac, and we think we've traced the disease through my
mother-in-law's maternal side.  We have been urging her to be tested, at least
with the endomesial antibody test, because of her own ill health.  Her symptoms
sound consistent with some presentations of CD.   She has Graves disease,
iron-deficiency anemia, arthritis (walks painfully with a cane), diarrhea and
gas.  Now that we've convinced her to get the blood test as a first step, her
doctor (an HMO g.p.) refuses to do the test.  He's never heard of
celiac disease and calls her a hypochondriac.  If anyone out there
lives in her area, knows of a knowledgeable doctor who could evaluate her
condition, or has a connection to a local support group, please let me know.
Like all of us in this boat, she needs an educated physician who won't insult
her.  A conversation with an adult who's been there would probably do wonders
for her as well.  Thank you so much for helping me to help her!

Amy in Ohio