From:
Barb & Glenn Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb & Glenn Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 11:19:32 -0600

Thank you all for your input regarding how to cook rice and which rice cookers are the best.  I had many responses and all were appreciated.

It sounds like many of you are using rice cookers, either electric or microwave,  but some of you are cooking on top of the stove in a saucepan.

I have summarized the responses below and copied some of them  regarding the best ways to cook rice.  I hope that they are helpful.

I will have to do some more reading and comparison shopping before I decide which one to purchase.

Thanks again,

Barbara in Missouri

Recommended cookers were:

5    ---    Black & Decker Rice Cooker  (about $18 at Walmart)
3    ---    Panasonic Rice Cooker (not steamer)
3    ---    Rice Cookers but no brand named
2    ---    Black & Decker Food/Rice Steamer with 2 tiers
2    ---    Fuzzy Logic Rice Cooker
2    ---    Sanyo with Titanium Bowl
2    ---    Zojirushi   (expensve but worth the cost)
1    ---    Aroma ARC-860
1    ---    Aroma 4 in 1 Rice Cooker and Food Steamer
1    ---    Hitachi
1    ---    "National Rice Cooker/Steamer-model #SR-W10NA"--a Japanese model that costs $37.99. recommended by Cooks Illustrated. You may read their product reviews at their web site --  www.americastestkitchen.com after registering at the site.
1    ---    Oster
1    ---    Salton
1    ---    Tiger
1    ---    Toshiba
1    ---    Williams Sonoma Cool Touch Rice Cooker

1    ---    Progressive Microwave Cooker
2    ---    Other Microwave Cookers

2    ---    Said Rice Cookers burned rice on the bottom.

"I use 'Uncle Ben's' rice and it come out great, since we have 5 children
beside myself on the diet, when we make the rice we make lots.(No I don't
wash my rice)

First have a pot that has a large bottom.  Boil the stated amount of water, we do 6 cups of water.

When the water is boiling add:
3 cups of rice
about 1 teaspoon salt
about 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil.

Stir the rice and oil/salt and turn to lowest setting and cover.  In about twenty minutes (tip the pan sideways and see if most of the liquid is absorbed), if so turn off and leave on stove.  When everything else is ready it should be perfect.  Stir prior to serving.  If there is still lots of liquid check back in 5 minutes."

"The directions always say something like 1 1/4 cups of water for every 1 cup of rice. I do these things with my rice:

* buy calrose rice, or ask at a chinese market what's the best sushi rice.
* I use 2 to 2 1/2 cups of water for every cup of rice.
* the average rice you find in the grocery store is grainy anyway, and requires extra water before you refrigerate it. I don't really know why. Regular rice also loses its shape, and doesn't taste very good all by itself.
* Calrose and the fancy sushi rice (I think the brand i have is Nishiri or Nishiki) are not grainy at all, and they keep their texture very well in the fridge. I'm addicted to the stuff!!!
* cook your rice covered, with a tight-fitting lid.
* I use only distilled water when cooking anything, expecially rice.

 put the burner on "high" until it begins to boil, then lower it down to "low". I'm working on the magic timing to let it get hot enough but turn it down before it foams up all over the place. I also don't rinse my rice, but I think that's just a personal preference. I've just begun doing that, and have not had any reactions (I had no idea rice might be treated with wheat, that is scary). It usually takes about 20 minutes to cook."

"I use the Long grain Thai rice.  I wash it first then for one cup of rice, I add about 1 and 3/4 cups of water, a tsp of salt.  I let it come to a simmer, cover it at that point and set the electric stove at the lowest number on the burner ( which is 1) then time it for 22 minutes.  It always comes out great.  Fluff it with a fork."

"You don't need a rice cooker.  After rinsing and soaking the rice...cook it like pasta..in a large pot of salted water.  Add ther ice to the rapidly boiling and water and cook for approximately 15 min.  btw..this is how restaurants cook rice"

"I have a plastic rice cooker that I purchased at Target by the microwave ovens.  You put the rice and water in, close it up and put it in the micro for 15 - 18 minutes depending on how much rice you are cooking.  I use it probably 3 times a week and it turns out perfect every time.  I cook Basmati rice (you must thouroughly rinse this kind of rice first) and Uncle Ben's and both work out perfect.  It is the best rice cooker I have ever used.  The other nice thing about it is that you can store the leftover rice in it and nothing sticks to the inside and you can put it in the dishwasher."

"My Hawaiian stepmother - washed the rice until the water runs clear - then adds water to the first joint in your finger.  Cover - bring to boil - turn heat way back - and watch until water evaporates and rice is fluffy!  I buy bulk rice from Sam's club - basmati rice - yummy - but dirty - need to rinse well."

"I take two cups of Mahatma Brown rice, 4 cups of water and Microwave it on high for 8 minutes or till it boils as every microwave is different.  I then cook it 35 minutes at power level 3 which is just a simmer on my machine.  I stir it and let it
sit for awhile then I store it in the same container, a plastic container that I got at Wal-Mart."

"My rice comes out perfect every time.  If you are looking for rice that resembles Minute Rice from regular rice, it won't be.  It's stickier and more compact whether it's cooked in a pot or a micro or a rice cooker. You could try washing and rinsing the rice until the water runs clear before you start to cook it.  That should remove part of the starch.
I do mine in the micro. 1 part long grain rice, 2 parts water, salt.  Like 1 cup rice, 2 cups water.  Nuke for 15-20 minutes depending on the power of the one you have.  Mine is 1100, I reduce the power to 50% and nuke for 20 minutes."

"Use cold water at a 2 to one ratio (2 cups water to one cup rice)
Bring rice and water to a rapid boil, REDUCE HEAT TO A VERY LOW SIMMER
Cover your pot with a tight fitting lid  DON'T PEEK! :-)
White rice cooks for 14 minutes - turn off heat and let rest for 10 more minutes.
DON'T PEEK! :-)
Brown rice cooks for 45 to 50 minutes
PEEK ONLY ONCE AT 45 MINUTES, take a couple of grains off the top, are they tender to your liking? No?  then put the lid on and cook 5 more minutes. BTW, do you hear sizzling? If so, you might add about 2 to 4 tbs. of water and put the lid back on.
When done - turn off heat and let rest for 10 more minutes.:-)
Peeking lets out moisture and unless you are cooking risotto you have to leave the lid on.  This just isn't the same as cooking oatmeal. You must leave the lid on, and there is no stirring necessary.  After resting for ten minutes you can fluff the rice with a fork, but to not stir it with a spoon as this will make it sticky and mushy. "