From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 1995 17:16:29 -0700

The vitamin query reminded me of an unfinished, unsent research doo-dah
molding in my disk space. It includes a report on a gf, lf powdered
multi-vitamin by All One; and inconclusive notes on Solgar products.

In General
Most sellers of supplements may not have learned about the needs of the
celiac population. Many pride themselves in making products acceptable to
vegetarians, and those with common allergies such as soy, wheat, dairy and
eggs, as well as those who must limit their sugar and sodium intake.
Granted, that is a lot to look out for.

All One
While shopping at Mrs. Gooch's in L.A., I saw a display for a powdered
nutritional supplement, All One, available in a Rice Base (dairy free)
version. In a phone conversation, a company representative assured me that
it is gluten free.  If others would also like to call, the All One toll free
number is: 800-235-5727. They are open 7:30 to 12:30 and 1:30 to 5 Pacific
time. It is heartening to know that the concept of a dairy-free,
excipient-free supplement has made it to the shelf.

Update: All One is on sale for a limited time (about $20 for 30 day supply),
so I tried it, since Mrs. Gooch's has a full guarantee on purchases. What I
like about it is that the powder form makes it possible to lower my dose.
The suggested dose was too filling and may have caused me more constipation
than usual. In future, I might try two one-third doses, and see if less
shows up in my urine.  (Look for that bright yellow that says <you must be
taking vitamins!>)

My inquiry about Solgar Vitamins (and minerals, herbs and amino acids) was
mainly about the Vegicaps in which they enclose some of their products.
According to Lauren (800-645-2246 ext.131) The Vegicaps contain carbohydrate
gum, a vegetable glycerine, propoline glycol, sodium laurel sulfate, and
silica. The Vegicap supplier (whose name they would not reveal) attested to
Lauren's boss that no grains go into the Vegicap. However, when I asked for
the source of the "vegetable" in vegetable glycerine, she said she'd get
back to me and didn't. While they seem to be familiar with the need to
eliminate soy, dairy, wheat, sodium, sucrose and yeast, my concern about
barley, rye and oat sources seemed bizarre to them. In a gesture of
appeasement, Lauren sent me the Solgar Desk Reference which includes a
useful glossary for their products, but one aimed at folks who don't care
what kind of "vegetable" sources those ingredients come from. Caveat emptor.

To add to my distrust, I noticed that the reference guide doesn't mention
the vegetable magnesium stearate Lauren disclosed in the product I have
taken. While I don't know of any harmful properties in the ingredient, it is
one not revealed on the label or in the reference guide. After experiencing
reflux after taking their golden seal vegicaps (several trials over a
one-year period) and getting a polite but incomplete response on the phone,
my gut reaction, excuse the pun, to Solgar is "no thanks."

For the sake of my bone mass I need better absorption and may try the enzyme
route. Meanwhile, more vitamins, yoga, gardening and walking (not to mention
cooking) will hopefully suffice.

Mary Courtney
Los Angeles, California