From:
Barb & Glenn Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb & Glenn Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:54:25 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I received several comments and caveats about Chili's GF List and am copying them below along with my comments/response.

"Did anyone ask them if they use a bouillion cube of unknown contents or a
thickener of any kind when they make the potato soup. I'd be very
suspicious."

My comment:  No, I did not ask about that at all.

"Just FYI, but I've never found rice (except sticky white stuff in Chinese restaurants), that wasn't made with a broth or bouillion of unknown ingredients."

I had no comment.

"For years I worked for an institutional supplier to many national chain restaurants.  I used to train their employees on proper sanitation in the kitchen. When you eat at many national chains the food is prepackaged and the help is usually young and inexpensive.  You are relying on a staff that is under pressure to deliver meals quickly and more than likely are not aware of gluten free cooking and the complexities.  You are also taking for granted that these same individuals will stop what they are doing,  grab clean utensils and/or clean the grille to prepare your food. Not only that they will have to set the utensils in a clean spot then pick them up to handle your food again.  In many cases I would say this will not happen and the chances of contamination are very high.

Many restaurants are also not very clean in the kitchen. Next time you are dining ask if you can take a walk back to see where your food is prepared.  Maybe I'm wrong but I have been in many restaurants and in most cases they are not that clean in the back of the house (the kitchen).  If the restaurant has some type of official gluten free menu and possibly training for the kitchen staff I would try it.  But knowing what I know I prefer to keep it safe.  These rules apply for most restaurants not just national chains.  I recently visited Toronto and called ahead to speak with the Chef.  When I arrived he gave me a tour of the kitchen (during dinner hour) to assure me that it was clean and that he would do his best to be sure my meal was Gluten Free.  It was immaculate...  Dine at your own risk but when you go to high volume restaurants using prepackaged meals with inexpensive help there is a much greater chance of having a problem.

Possibly you can write to Chili's and ask them to make this an official Menu in their restaurants.  This will truly help our cause as it becomes policy and employees will have to abide by the rules."

My comment:  I have not written to Chili's again and asked them to make this an official Menu.

Thank you to those who shared their concerns about eating at Chili's.

Barbara in Missouri