From:
Renee Cronenwalt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:47:33 EST

Dear Listmates: I received many dozens of letters, about half asking me to be
sure to do a summary.  A couple of people said they drink Michelob Ultra with
no problem but the vast majority said that it is a NO NO because in addition
to using rice, the company adds a barley malt.  Apparently it is in minute
amounts but it is there and some people have tried it and had a reaction.  I
am enclosing the following letter which is the information that raised the
question in my mind, in the first place, and the one that precipitated my
inquiry.  Use your own judgment.  Since it is not deemed GF, I will pass on
it.  RC

You can call Bud Light at 1-800-342-5283 and here is what they told me and
here is a web address I just noticed and they will answer your email if you
don't want to call.   www.budlight.com

I asked them to make a gluten free beer.  He said:  Michelob Ultra is gluten
free.  It is made from rice and the barley's protein used in the process is
turned into amino acids.  Our scientists have been unable to detect any
harmful amounts of gluten.  I went out and bought a 12 pack that day and it
has caused me no problems.........yet.  It has 2.6 carbs and 96 calories.

The next day I sent them another email and asked about Bud Light and told
them that I am going on a 10 day cruise out of Charleston and feared that
the Ultra would be scarce aboard ship.  Same story, it is made from rice
too.  They add a note to check with your doctor or the CSA and they give you
their email address.  (Anheiser Bush or Michelob is apparently a branch of
Budweiser.)  It is a personal decision and I think you will feel better if
you talk to the man yourself)

The people that are getting ready to sell a g/f beer may post a letter or
advise you their:  "beer is made from wheat and barley and is not gluten
free."  I figure it this way they have a vested interest and I got a case of
the Ultra at Sam's for 15.00.  My guess is that their beer will cost at
least twice that much.  I do appreciate the fact that they are doing it and
to tell you the truth I like McCormick's Rum and diet coke and will continue
to drink that most of the time.

If you email them please send me a copy as I don't know how I managed to
delete mine?  Cheers!

Charles