From:
Herb Bolz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 1996 18:10:24 -0700

At the CSA/USA conference coming up at the Dallas/Ft.Worth Airport Marriot
Hotel (Texas,USA) , I expect there will be a discussion of priorities for
the year to come.  As a lawyer who works in the areas of government
regulations and legislation, I have a personal interest in improving labels
on commercial food products. Having been a biopsy-diagnosed celiac for two
years and a skin biopsy-diagnosed DH'er for one month, I know what
frustrates me in this area.  Also, I have learned a lot from this list over
the past several months and from the l995 CSA conference (San Francisco).

My tentative list of label reform priorities in the USA would look like this:

1. require full disclosure of the true contents of nebulous ingredients
(e.g., natural flavors and modified food starch)

2. set legal standards for the label designation "gluten free"

3. set legal standards for the label designation "low gluten" (or "reduced
gluten".)

I need feedback on this 3-item list. If you think this covers the main
priorities, please send me a message that says something like "I agree."
My legal colleagues can respond "I concur.") :)

If have different priorities, tell me.

We all need to remember that regulatory projects such as the one outlined
above can take years or even decades to accomplish.  However, it is
important to be clear on the objectives to start with.

ALSO: Thanks to the many people who responded so thoughtfully to my May
message about possiby having DH.  The responses allowed me to diagnose
myself. It took until this month (September) to medically confirm the DH
diagnosis. :(

I now have a new primary care doctor, GI doctor, and skin doctor.

I look forward to meeting some of you personally in Dallas. Thanks again.