From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 14:18:56 -0500

Dear Female List members with children who are celiacs,

This is a letter I sent to someone on the list who asked about being a
celiac and the problems of pregnancy.  I was just cleaning out the mail,
and came across my response and decided to run it past you to see if others
have had similar symptoms.

"I'm the celiac mother of a gluten-sensitive son - who is now in his mid
40's and has two non-celiac sons of his own...  (I also have a second son
who is NOT gluten sensitive.  The two pregnancies could not have been more
different.)

I was not aware of my own gluten sensitivity at the time of the pregnancies.

>All through the first pregnancy, the baby was jumpy, and I quite literally
>was black and blue from the way he stretched and pushed with feet, knees
>elbows and hands.   I assumed all pregnancies were like that, and as I was
>not diagnosed at that time, I had no idea that my diet might have anything
>to do with the unborn baby's behavior.  Now I'm sure that he was reacting
>to the things I ate. He is hypoglycemic as well as celiac, and I'm sure
>that sugars, caffeine, etc., all made a difference, as well as gluten. I
>don't know whether other mothers of celiac babies have had similar
>pregnancies.
>
>So, if I were young and thinking of having another child, I'd keep a
>record of what I ate and how the baby reacted.  If there were obvious
>hiccups, hyper-activity, etc, then I would adjust my eating habits to keep
>the baby relatively calm.  The same would be true when it came to nursing
>that baby.

I'd like to know if other women have had similar pregnancies resulting in
babies who are gluten-sensitive.  Any responses?

Gayle Kennedy