From:
Healthy Creations Inc. <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 15:41:22 -0800

Thanks to all who responded to my request :)  Here are the eight suggestions
I received...

1.  Tips for baking yeast free bread from Jay at Miss Roben...
By replacing the yeast with baking powder it provides the same reaction in
rising but you lose the yeast-like taste.

When using baking powder, instead of yeast, the dough does not require a
rising period.  Bake immediately at the temperature you would with the yeast
recipe.

2.  GF Irish Soda Bread (double batch):

8    cups  GF flour mix  (2 1/2 pounds)
3/4 tsp     xanthan gum
3/4 cup    white sugar
2    tsp     baking soda
4    tsp     baking powder
1    tsp     salt
6            eggs
2    pint    sour cream (1 pint is 1 pound)
1/4 cup    milk or water so that batter almost pours

     Preheat oven to 375 +ALA- F.  Grease three 8 x 4 inch pans.
     Mix dry ingredients.  Add eggs, sour cream and liquid and mix.
     Divide batter evenly between the three pans. (I give them a
     couple good raps against the counter to level the batter)
     Bake at 375 +ALA- F for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out
     clean. (The more liquid you use the longer it takes)

The GF flour mix I use is:

4 parts Brown Rice Flour
1 part   Potato Starch Flour
1 part   Tapioca Flour
1 part   Corn Starch

3.  Fearn's Brown Rice Mix makes great muffins, and a cake-y kind of bread
(good as a side dish with soup, not so great for sandwiches).  I get it at
my Health Food Store.

4.  Energy Foods makes a yeast and gf rice bread...it's not that great, but
when that's all you can eat for bread, it's better then nothing.

5.  _The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread_, by Bette Hagman is an
excellent source for yeast free bread products.

6.  If you go to this site and click on _bread_, I would be surprise you
wouldn't find one. (Mireille)
   http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/+ACM-recipes

7.  A recipe for sandwich buns (from Eliyanah) which are made in muffin
tins. It works well and tastes good. They look quite weird (sort of like
hockey pucks with a greenish tinge to the bread) but they taste great.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

3/4 cup rice flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/2 cup tapioca starch
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
1 tablespoon sugar

Mix above ingredients then in a separate bowl mix the following:

2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup milk

Mix wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, mix well.

Adaptation to muffin tins:

Grease the muffin tins. Fill each cup half to three-quarters full. If there
are any empty cups, put an inch of water in them. Bake for approx. 13-15
min. They should get nice and golden brown on top. Test them with a
toothpick, when it comes out clean and the bread is starting to pull away
from the sides, it's done. Don't undercook or they will fall when cooling.
(Mine don't really rise very much even before the cooling - they tend to
rise on the sides but not in the middle, still tastes good though+ACE-). Take
out of tin and cool. (or eat warm - yum+ACE-). When they are cool, I leave a few
out to eat and put the rest in a ziplock freezer bag and drop them in. To
eat from frozen, I zap in the microwave until warm.

8.  A final suggestion was ordering from Kinnickinick.  Their web address
is:  http://www.kinnikinnick.com/mainpg.html