Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 13:03:38 -0800

At 08:55 AM 1/29/00 -0500, George & Gayle Kennedy wrote:

>This message relates to the recent information
>
> >on the LIST about the differences between allergy, intolerance, and celiac
> >disease... We have had trouble pinpointing the
> >differences between them, and it has been dificult to find the dividing
> >lines. I quoted from an article in DIGESTIVE HEALTH & NUTRITION magazine.

Gayle, I understand your frustration. I think the confusion arises because
we want an absolutist answer, but simple enough to be understandable, about
such a complex issue. And the second (or perhaps the primary) reason is
that the medical establishment does not agree within itself as to the
difference between allergy and intolerance. If you ask an allergist and a
gastroenterologist to explain the diff, they will give you two completely
different answers (I've read some of these). Now add in the variety of
opinions of the chiropractors, DO's, and holistic healers. Not only that,
but if you ask two allergists or two GI docs, they may be a little closer,
but they will be far from agreement on that issue, unless perhaps they went
to the same med school and studied under the same prof.

I've spent 40 years in the academic community, and I've rarely seen any two
profs in any discipline even come close to agreeing with each other. These
issues are complex and depend upon point of view. Most academic depts are
not able to agree on anything more subjective than what day of the week it
happens to be, and I've seen them argue about that :)

My suggestion for everyone on the list is to read two or three different
explanations and then pick the one they like best. But use that only as a
point of departure for an overall view. Never try to hold fast to it. It
won't work. -vance