From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 09:40:07 -0500

Thanks so much, everyone, for the many and prompt replies to my query about
chicken broth. I have the good luck to have a friend who's making Christmas
dinner for a crowd -- including me -- and is very very vigilant about
gluten. It was she who had the presence of mind to read the College Inn
label (despite my having erroneously said that brand was okay) and informed
me yesterday that wheat gluten is listed as an ingredient. So I wish
eveyrone a happy holiday, and the gift of a non-celiac friend who guards
your interests as well as mine does!

Anyway, the summary:

Campbell's Healthy Request Chicken Broth is GF.

Health Valley

Swanson Natural Goodness 100% Fat Free & 1/3 less sodium Chicken Broth
lists the following:
Chicken Stock, Salt, Dextrose, Yeast Extract, Chicken Flavor (contains
autolyzed yeast), Chicken Flavor, Corn Syrup Solids, Chicken Broth Powder.

Manischewitz makes a delicious canned clear condensed chicken broth

Progresso and Swanson Chicken Broth. They are both gluten free.

(n.b. I just tried to get an 800 number for Progresso to check on the
ingredients that seem vague to me, but the 800 info line failed to come up
with a number. I know they have one, though.)

..happy using SWEET SUE and I am VERY sensitive to gluten.

....didn't see anything in LaRussa chicken broth that looked like it contained
gluten.

from Canada:
Watkins has safe GF chicken, beef base that is GF.  If you can find a
distributor in your area it would be well worth it.  All you do is add water
to make broth and water and gf flour to make gravy.