From:
"Karen M. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Dec 1994 20:30:49 -0800

Sam Wylde <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> I am not used to Internet.  I thought I just sent you an answer, but your
> message appeared again, so just to be safe I am answering again.

>`If you want to telephone me I am sure I can help you alot.  I am Sam Wylde,
> III.  Ener-G Foods, Inc.  (800) 331-5222. "[log in to unmask]"

Thanks, Sam.  I know about Ener-G.  I use some Ener-G mixes - the
pre-made stuff I find unpalatable (what can I say - I'm picky ;-)

> The other message mentioned dairy allergies.  I assume you do not mean
> lactose intolerance.  Do you know if you are allergic to just "cow's
> milk" or to all milk?  If you want goat's milk I can help you find a
> source which has very little goat taste. If they heat the goat's milk
> too much in processing it makes it taste like goat.

Dairy-free = casein allergy.  Goat's milk doesn't work too well either,
although I seem to be able to tolerate *small* amounts of sheep's milk
cheeses.

> If you are allergic to all milk I can help with that too. We have a really
> good product which makes "milk" from almonds.

Nut-quik.  I use it.

> We have about 3000 recipes in our databank.  We have been at this a long
> time.  We have some great gluten-free granola and lots of gluten-free
> snack foods.

Thanks.  After trying some of EnerG's stuff, I really prefer my own - but
as I said, I'm picky....

Lynne Shandley <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but recently, after a bout of
> gastro, I bought a can of "Ensure", [...snip...]

nope... I'm casein allergic.  Ensure is a no-no.  :-(

Kate Gregory <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Karen Davis writes:
>> Last month (Nov. 17th) I had a baby.  I am attempting to nurse, and my
>> calorie and liquid requirements have gone up astronomically.  I also have
>> zilch time for cooking, and less for eating (One hand is available when I
>> feed her, sometimes).  I am on a GF, dairy-free diet.  Does anyone have
>> any ideas/recipes for quick (I'll bake in bulk and freeze if I have to)
>> and easy GF/DF snack-type foods that are healthy, nutritious, and can be
>> eaten with one hand, sans utensils?  Any ideas appreciated.

> I remember those days. Can you make a gluten-free pastry to wrap
> things in so you can eat them one-handed? Freeze and nuke. What
> things to wrap? Burritos (soft corn tortilla), don't go wild with the
> spices, pizza-ish stuff, broccoli with cheese-substitute, etc.

> Fresh fruit, while not high in protein, is easy to eat. You can even
> set it down and finish it later. Sliced lunchmeats (without wheat
> fillers obviously) are good too. Keep a batch of GF crackers handy.
> Cold chicken (grilled) on the bone. Any kind of sandwich with GF bread.

Lunchmeat is a good idea.  I've been munching PB&J on a rice cake, along
with a piece of fruit when I feed her.

> Don't worry too much about eating and drinking enough. You only
> need about 500 calories more: the classic axmples of that are a
> penaut butter sandwich (use GF bread) or a fruited yogurt (hmm,
> is there soy yogurt?). Drink only to thirst, no more.

You're talking to someone who gained a net of *5 pounds* while pregnant.
I had a 9.5 pound baby!  I know I need to lose a few pounds, but I also
know that loosing weight too fast while nursing cuts into the milk
supply.  500 additional calories at my size/activity level translates
into about 3000-3500 cal/day, and lately I've been lucky to get 2200.
This is *not good*.  Fortunately, I do have some padding to help, but at
this rate, it's not gonna last very long...  As far as drinking to
thirst, I normally drink (normal = not pregnant/nursing) about 3 quarts a
day to combat allergies and a dry environment.... To thirst lately has
been 4-5 quarts/day :-(

Thanks to all for some good ideas (along with a PB cookie recipe which I
already have/use)....

Karen

[log in to unmask]   (if urgent, use [log in to unmask] - the better half)
Karen Davis of Davis and Associates (818)892-8555
           "Pain is Mother Nature's way of telling us to slow down;
                       Death is her way of INSISTING!"