From:
A S Levario <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A S Levario <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 05:52:07 -0700

Maybe the phones weren't ringing in Congressional offices,
but their email-boxes were overflowing.  Since Monday, over
800 letters have been sent to Congress.  Since August 1,
over 1400! These are staggering numbers.  Keep it up.

Some information on HR 467, Food Ingredient Right to Know
Act.  The American Celiac Task Force is not endorsing this
legislation. WHY? While it would require labeling for
spices, flavorings and colors, it does not go far enough.

More importantly, the bill will not see action. It is a
'placeholder'.  Meaning it was introduced, to make sure
people are aware of the issue. We have had numerous
conversations with the sponsor's staff. They are working to
re-introduce a comprehensive food allergen labeling bill,
which hopefully, the celiac community and the food allergy
community can endorse.

If we ask support for H.R. 467, we are telling Congress,
that 'this is all we want'. It's not, we want more.  The
food allergy community is aware of this legislation. They
are also working with us, and lawmakers, for a broader
bill.

Our goal is to have one message to Congress. Mixed messages
can cause confusion, and can be viewed as the community not
agreeing on what it wants.

We have made incredible progress getting our message in
front of Congress. By having one message, we ensure that it
will be heard.

Thanks,

Andrea Levario and Allison Herwitt
Co-chairs, American Celiac Task Force