From:
Miki Tracey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miki Tracey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 22:32:28 -0500

If it matters, i overcooked significantly for the party, and veered a bit from traditional. The only people not satisfied were those on atkins diets, and  my one friend brought gluteny weiner things for them, so they didn't die of hunger.
I offered
GF corn tortilla chips
All Natural guacamole that my friend brought.  I didn't catch the brand name (if interested email me and i'll let you know)
GF Salsa
GF Pantry Brownies
GF Pantry Cornbread
the Taco 5 of 8 layer dip below
Spring Rolls with dipping sauce (recipe on astray.com)
energ pretzels family size bag
GF haloween candy (hershey's, reeses)
peanuts in the shell
The brownies disappeared being the only dessert on the table, however there was tons left over....
Glad the one dessert burned and the other was abandoned.
---
I'm thinking maybe veggies and dill dip. Pickles. Potato chips and onion dip.
Pumpkin pie, Apple crisp or chocolate cake.
Chili Beans and corn bread or french bread. Clam Chowder.
Pineapple Yams. Traditional stuffing for Thanksgiving.
Sunshine jello salad (lemon jello, grated carrots, pineapple).
Dry Orange jello, cool whip, mandarin oranges and crushed pineapple stirred together.
One time I made spiders out of my bread/roll dough.
---
I would suggest you to ask your questions at this other excellent GF forum:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages

There are kind and knowledgeable people there, including doctors with CD, and an extensive GF product list.

Moreover, I have voluntarily posted over thousand of GF recipes too.

---
I do a Mexican platter that my cd son loves:
1 pkg taco mix, 16 oz. sour cream, 16 oz. cream cheese softened, onions any
amount, 3-4 roma tomatoes (chopped), chopped green pepper ( any amount),
sliced black olives ( any amount), shredded lettuce, shredded cheese.
Spray large platter with Pam. Mix first 3 ingredients together. Spread on
platter then layer remaining ingredients in order given--add or omit any
ingredient that you like. Serve with tortilla chips. I make sure that the
cream cheese layer isn't too thick--you may not need to use all of it. Make
a day ahead or early in the day.

[I did this one.  It was awesome.  i have  ton left, because one of my friends brought the same dip!-Miki]

I also do a simple one with Hillshire Farms mini smoked sausages. I simmer
them in water to get the grease off--then drain. Combine 14 oz. ketchup,
1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 10 oz. jar grape jelly and small amount of
garlic powder or salt. simmer sausages in this until hot.

---
I suggest deviled eggs, cocktail meatballs, cheese and gf crackers, Hillshire Farm or other gf little sausages in barbeque sauce and really any kind of bar, cookie or cake. If you need recipes for any of the above, let me know and I will type some up for you. I will include some here.
Best Chocolate Frosting

1 c brown sugar
1/4 - 1/3 c milk
1/4 - 1/3 butter
1 tsp vanilla

Bring this mixture to rolling boil. 3:30 on High in microwave. Boil 1 min.
Add 1/2 c or 6 oz gf chocolate chips and stir about 5 min till melted.
Cool slightly. Pour over cake or bars.

Buttermilk Brownies Flour Mix

½ c salad oil 2 c brown rice flour
½ c margarine 2 c white rice flour
1 c cold water 1 ½ c sweet rice flour
1 1/3 c tapioca starch
Bring these to a boil & melt margarine. 2/3 c corn starch
Put 1 tsp baking soda into ½ c buttermilk. ½ c rice polish or bran
2 tsp xantham gum
Pour boiling mixture over dry ingredients
2 c sugar Sift together & store in
1 ¼ c gluten free flour mix canister.
4 tbsp cocoa.

Beat til creamy, add buttermilk mixture & 2 eggs. Beat well. Bake in jelly roll pan at 400 for 18 min.
Chocolate Maple Bars

½ c shortening ¾ c maple syrup ½ c sugar
3 eggs 3 tbsp milk 1 tsp vanilla
1 ¼ c flour ¼ tsp baking powder ¼ tsp salt
1 ½ sq unsweetened ½ c chopped pecans ½ c flaked coconut
chocolate, melted
Cream shortening, syrup & sugar. Beat in the eggs, milk and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder & salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Remove half of the batter to another bowl.
Combine melted chocolate & pecans; stir into one bowl. Spread into a greased 13x9 pan. Add coconut to remaining batter. Spread carefully over chocolate batter. Bake at 350 25 min or til done. Cool completely on wire rack.

Frosting

¼ c butter or margarine, softened 1 c powdered sugar
½ c baking cocoa ½ c maple syrup
1 c miniature marshmallows
Cream butter, add powdered sugar & cocoa. Slowly add syrup, beating til smooth. Fold in marshmallows. Frost bars.

Sugared Pecans

Put 1 lb (or more) pecans in colander and rise with cold water. Shake excess water off. Place in bag or plastic covered container with ¾ c brown sugar. Shake and put in large cooking pan. Bake at 350 for 10 min, stir & salt lightly. Turn oven off and return pan for 5 more minutes.

[I tried to do this one, but i was doing so many things i burned them :(.  I'll have to try again, it really did sound magnificent. ]
---
One of the easiest appetizers GF I make is:
sausage & cream cheese stuffed mushrooms.
Saute, GF sausage, (Jimmy Dean brand is what I use), melt in GF cream cheese (Philadelphia brand), Spoon into cleaned raw mushrooms and bake until bubbly
---
I just finished a cooking class demonstrating a mix that I developed for a neighbor recently diagnosed as a celiac and we ship the mixes to those who are interested. The mix makes breads, buns, noodles, kandy kakes, cookies, cream puffs, name it it does it!
The 2lb. size(makes a loaf of bread + 3 cups more to play with) sells for 6.50+shipping. The 5lb. size sells for 13.95. All other mixes such as the flax bread mix (makes 1 loaf) sells for 4.95, choc.chip cookie mix 5.25 brownie same price, pie crusts mix, makes 4 single crusts, 4.50, our list keeps growing, we will keep you posted. Of course you can make all of the stuff I listed out of the master mix if you want. Make check payable to: Garden Talk, 21 Mauger Rd. Elverson, Pa. 19520.
Our phone# 610-286-5985. Jan:)

--
popcorn balls might be a good idea if they aren't too large. homemade caramel
corn is also an idea but watchout..it is practially addictive!!

---
You can mix candy corn and peanuts in a bowl. Simple and it tastes like
a payday!
[To add to this, someone posted recently that Goelitz candy corn is gluten free - woo hoo, i LOVE candy corn - Miki]

--
Apple pizza is not traditional but is fall-ish.
GF pizza dough