From:
Susana Reyes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susana Reyes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jul 2009 15:41:38 -0400

Hello,

I live in South Florida and just got back from a conference in DC.
This is the email I wrote to the DCceliac Yahoo group who helped with my research.

I stayed at the Westin National Harbor but the conference was at the Gaylord National
Harbor.  I had requested my lunches through the conference organizer.  All 3 lunches
provided by the Gaylord consisted of vegetables such as sliced carrots, asparagus,
squash, mushrooms etc.  They served a grilled chicken with vegetables only 1 day.  I was
thankful to be able to have a GF lunch, but they can surely use the help with creativity
since all 3 days were the same in terms of the vegetable servings.

One evening I ate at Mccormick and Schmick's at National Harbor and had a filet mignon
and vegetables.  I did not get a warm and fuzzy about any of the other items from the
staff or management.  Even though the waiter was knowledgable, the management just
did not take the time.

I also ate at Legal Sea Foods at Crystal City and they were very accommodating.  The
manager came to my table to explain the cooking process etc.  I am thankful for those
restaurants that have GF menus.

One evening I ate at Old Hickory in the Gaylord.  While they were accommodating there
was not much of a choice, so I had asparagus and filet mignon.

Because my conference activities ran late I really did not have much time to experience
other restaurants in the dcceliac yahoo group database.  But being one who is
uncomfortable traveling I was pleased I did not have any issues.

I think the best experience overall was at the Legal Seafoods at Reagan National Airport.
The manager and staff were wonderful.  The chef, Kevin, personally came to my table
and informed me he was going to personally take care of my order.  He also came out, to
my surprise, with a plate of gluten free rolls.  They were really delicious!  The rolls are
from Gillian's Foods at http://www.gilliansfoods.com.  I had the "Everything" rolls and
they were so good I am planning on ordering online if I can't find them locally.
The manager, Soline Simenauer, gave me the ingredients list from Gillian's Foods.  She
and her staff made my evening!  I was hungry and had a late flight and I was so very
pleased that they made me feel like a celiac queen!  I was really very happy having had
such a great meal before my flight!

Now that I have the list from the database and know that I can have a great meal at the
airport, I would like to visit again for pleasure next time.  Thank you!

*******
*******