From:
Margery Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 01:11:29 EST

Listmates~

Due to problems with having family members diagnosed and reading the horror
stories of other Celiacs, my family has decided that it's time to take public
action.  Somehow we have to start educating people about this disease.  We
probably all know persons whom we believe may have it, but no one is telling
them.  We've probably all had that argument with relatives who are SURE that
they couldn't possibly have what we have, etc.  I know that most of you share
the frustration of dealing with medical professionals who don't have a clue
about CD and act as though we're nuts to mention it.

Now, I realize this group is not limited to the U.S., however, I hope my
effort will help worldwide.  Please help with this, if you can.  I am writing
to Oprah Winfrey to suggest a show about this disease.  The research I've done
shows that the general public is far too ignorant of a disease that is NOT
rare.  We must take into consideration that there are people being treated for
things such as Diabetes, Lupus, Thyroid disease, etc, who may well have those
diseases because they are Celiac.  Yes, I realize that probably isn't a large
number, but in those cases the doctors are treating a symptom and not the
actual CAUSE.  Anyhow, Ms. Winfrey has a web site----www.oprah.com.  If you
could all join me in emailing her, maybe we could get some publicity on this
thing.  It's high time the medical community starting taking notice.  If the
people watching can recognize similar problems and begin asking their doctors,
then by-golly those docs will eventually sit up and pay attention.  This may
seem ridiculous to some of you, but my purpose is to at least make the effort
to get the word out.  Oprah seems to have a lot of respect for the kinds of
shows and information she tries to dole out.  To be honest, with 3 young
children I haven't the time to watch her, but I certainly hear about her shows
from friends and neighbors.  Thanks to any who choose to aid this effort.
God bless.
~MG in KY