From:
Wendy Waller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 02:07:28 -0400

> There are basically two disease entities 1) celiac disease (CD) and 2)
> transient gluten intolerance.

Hi,

I'd like to thank Vijay for the response below on celiac vs gluten
intolerance. And hope maybe that I can have a question answered on this
topic.

Personally I'd like to know when gluten intolerance turns into celiac
disease?

To explain a little more, my Mother has diagnosed celaic disease.  This was
diagnosed when she was in her fifties.  And as you can imagine her health was
pretty bad as a result.  Her brother also has parkinsons disease but will not
test for celiac.  And we can see celiac related disorders in other members of
the family tree.

Due to my health I was also tested and have not been diagnosed as having
celiac.  But I have all the signs and symptoms of gluten intolerance.  On my
gluten free diet I no longer have skin eruptions and problems, diarhoer has
diasppeared, depression has improved, chronic fatigue symptoms have gone.
Yet I am not a celiac.

But I know if I eat gluten I will have health problems which will continue to
get worse.

I also wonder if I continued to eat gluten (no chance but if I did..)  would
I be diagnosed as having adult onset of celiac disease also when I'm in my
fifties??  Along with osteo arthritis, or parkinsons disease or.......

When does gluten intolerance become celiac disease.???  Why do I have to have
a badly damaged gut and really bad health to be fully diagnosed with celiac
disease, when I and my doctor already know a gluten diet affects my
health.???

Can someone clarify this for me.

Many thanks Wendy