Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 1996 08:59:50 +0100

    I posted a note re intestinal bloating on a strict (I think) gluten-freee
diet that seems to be brought on by sugar, choc., perhaps carbos.  These things
are otherwise tolerated in my diet in moderation but under certain conditions
(like the stress of travel and excesses like overeating or too much cabohydrates
and sugar) are not tolerated.

    Thanks for helpful responses.  My problem continues probably because I am
still under stress here and its hard to add a strict "new" diet to all the other
sabbatical, mother of twins, new country/language stresses.  I will share my
working hypothesis.  The one word summary is "VARIETY" (is the spice of life).

     Several suggested that a carbohydrate rich diet can at times lead to
intestinal problems.  I was also struck by Peter Thomson's testimonial on the
Web (http://www.demon.co.uk/webguides) that he started his Gluten Free diet by
eating mainly rice and his problems returned.  "my narrow diet was the
worst way to proceed...I must broaden my diet as much as poossible or my immune
system could well start reacting to any other food that was in my digestive
system at the time."  This is a point others have brought up recently on the
list.  Thomson also has a book just out called "The Complete Guide for
Gluten-free or Wheat-free Diets", ISBN 0-340-62098-6, price 8.99 UK pounds that
can be ordered via [log in to unmask]

    -->It may well be that the recovering celiac needs a special diet at first
beyond being gluten free to let the gut heal.  Such diets have been recommended
for those with gi problems: irritible bowl syndrome, etc. (see below).

    The problem of excess carbohydrates and complex foods is dealt with in the
the Gottschalk diet and the "Zone" diet.  Both take foods that are low fiber.
The Gottschalk was summarized especially clearly in an old post reposted by Don
Wiss, that I recovered with a search of the newsgroup archives: