From:
Donnajean Plante <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:13:14 EDT

thanks for all the great responses:

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Ka'anapali, Maui.  We went to a couple
different restaurants that were familiar with the diet.  One was Roy's.  It's a
seafood place.  The waitress gave me a list of things that were gluten free
including an awesome dessert.  The other was Mama's Fish house.  It was very good,
but very pricey.  I think we were better off at the higher end places because
the chefs were very understanding.  It seems like they were more likely to
prepare dishes according to our needs.

Sam Choys was very accommodating to the GF diet.  Chef instructed his staff
to fry me a mahi mahi fish with just butter and salt in a clean pan.  I
didn't want any wine or too much other added ingredients at the time because
I was still having trouble eating foods (still healing) which were not bland
since my stomach would react to acids and alcohols.  I called ahead and now
locally where I live, one restaurant I am going to attend frequently
appreciates that I call ahead so we can discuss the ingredients and make my
dish flavorful;  For example, at my last visit, the chef made made me a
shellfish bouillabaisse, tomato based with nothing canned- he used fresh
tomatoes and vegetables all from scratch and made the bouillabaisse at 1pm
eventhough I wasn't to arrive until dinner, because he needed to let the
flavors infuse.

Down to Earth is a large health food store on King Street (near the
University Street cross street), Honolulu -- you can buy almost any GF
food -- pasta, cereal, snacks, etc. etc.   Also, they have a nice
prepared-food take out buffet and are very gluten-aware -- just ask and they
will tell you which foods are GF.  they also have a good selection of nice
organic fresh produce.

I live on Oahu and will give you some info for here but I am sorry I
don't know much about Maui resources. Hopefully one of the other Hawaii
folk will give you some info in that regard. There is also some info in
the archives. In Waikiki, we ate at Duke's Canoe club recently. I called
ahead, explained the situation and kept the meal simple and was fine.
They also have a huge salad bar to choose from. It is right on the
beach, great atmosphere. There is also an Outback in Waikiki and Hawaii
Kai. I would recommend you bring the menu just in case. We haven't eaten
there yet as since I have been diagnosed (and well), I have been
pregnant so I am being extra careful. There are also several Tony Roma's
on the island. Roy's restaurant (one on Oahu and one on Maui) are fine
dining and VERY willing to work with you. Just call ahead. The food is
pricey but EXCELLENT. There are several health food stores on the island
that have a good selection of GF food. The largest is Down to Earth, one
in Honolulu, one in Kailua, and one in Pearl City. They also have a hot
food bar with ingredients listed and a salad bar. Another is Umeke
market in Kahala (area of Honolulu) and The Source in Kailua. Hmmm what
else.....most restaurants have fresh fish choices so with a little
explaining you should be fine. One other place is called Kuaaina, it is
a burger place that also has nice salads. They have a dedicated fryer
for fries which are real fries with nothing else on them. It is not too
far from Waikiki near a shopping center called Ward Center. There is
also one in Haleiwa town on the North Shore. Just explain the cross
contamination deal with them and you can probably have the salads there
too. There are also several Jamba Juices on the island which are great
in this weather. They are smoothies and juices, there is more info on
their GF products in the archives if you are not familiar with them.  I
would also recommend you call the hotel chefs prior to arrival. People
are not very familiar with celiac here so be VERY clear and you should
have a great time. If you would like any other info or recs feel free to
contact me. The weather has been beautiful, hot but beautiful. You will
have a great time here!. Again, please don't hesitate if you want any