From:
Amy Kravitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:17:58 EDT

Hi to the Room,

   I must have had about 30 messages in my inbox when I got up this morning!

   I had a lot of folks who said they received similar comments from others.
A few even told me that they got insensitive comments from their own
ignorant/uncaring physicians!

   The replies that I recieved from people ranged all across the spectrum.
Many of the folks just tell others that there are still many healthy things
we can eat such as chicken, meat, rice, potatoes, seafood, vegetables,etc.

   In general I get that comment-"What else is there to eat but wheat??" from
waitstaff from local restaurants I attend. Even though I'm not crazy about
the comment, I simply explain my condition to them, and then they quickly
understand what I have to deal with. As I repeat visits to the same
restaurants again and again, these waitstaff come to know what I can/cannot
eat. They even will go ask the chef, manager questions to make sure I am not
getting gluten contamination. I guess it's just the first thought that comes
into their minds since CD is still not as widely recognized as other
conditions such as Diabetes.

   I guess we all have to deal with all sorts of comments in life.

   Best of luck to you all,
   Amy Kravitz [log in to unmask]