From:
Ellen Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ellen Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:39:21 -0500

I reported on these dangers years ago!!! the other danger from balsamic is
that the cheaper stuff if cut with white vinegar which many people react to.
bottom line is...beware!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
excerpts from Is Vinegar Safe For Celiacs? Scientists say Yes!
© 2000 Gluten-Free Living, PO Box 105, Hastings-on-Hudson,NY 10706
[log in to unmask] The Resource for People with Gluten Sensitivity :
“The best answer to questions about the safety of vinegar was given over 10
years ago by J.A. Campbell, Ph.D., then chairman of the Nutrition Advisory
Board for the Canadian Celiac Association, and a scientist who had done some
pertinent research… 'So it would be literally impossible to consume enough
vinegar to even get close to the lowest amount considered to be toxic to
some individuals, assuming some toxic material was present.'”
“'There is no scientific evidence for gluten peptides in alcohol or vinegar
that I am aware of.'  Dr. Don Kasarda”
“The one vinegar a celiac should avoid is Malt vinegar which is made from
“an infusion of barley malt or cereals,” according to the Compliance Policy
Guide. Also, a few vinegars do have flavorings or something else added back
in after distillation. If so, that would be indicated on the label.”
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
excerpts from: Gluten-Free Additives and Ingredients by Shelley Case, RD
Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide
copyright Revised Edition 2002
Caramel Color is manufactured by heating carbohydrates either alone or in
the presence of food grade acids, alkalies and/or salts and is produced from
commercially available food-grade nutritive sweeteners consisting of
fructose, dextrose &glucose), invert sugar, sucrose and/or starch
hydrolysis’s and fractions thereof (1) Although gluten-containing
ingredients (malt syrup, barley and starch hydrolysis’s) can be used in the
production of caramel color, they are not used according to food processors
in North America. Corn is used most often as it produces a longer shelf life
and a much better product.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's good you brought this up. I stopped using balsamic vinegar because I
didn't feel well after using it. Many people have told me that you have to
pay quite a bit of money for true balsamic vinegar, otherwise they are
flavored with other ingredients.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I'm really glad you pointed this out. I always trust the balsamic vinegar,
and I've been having a terrible recurrence of heartburn, that only used to
happen when I was not gluten-free. I've been feeling ill lately after
balsamic....You may have solved the mystery.
Thanks for sharing the caution about basalmic vinegar.  Here are my thoughts
on the subject:  At the 2002 Stanford Celiac Conference, I believe it was
Ann Whelan, an investigative journalist with a Gluten-Free magazine, who had
researched various food additives and gave us more up-to-date info.  She
said that in the U.S. only 2 companies make caramel color, and both use corn
as the base because the flavor is better.  So even if the basalmic vinegar
is colored, it should be okay.  Unless, I suppose, it is imported - in which
case in my experience there will probably be FEWER food additives :-).  What
do you think?