From:
Peter Caron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 12:19:43 -0500

Hi all,

My son is autistic and celiac.  His reactions to gluten are phenomenal.
He loses speech, repetitive behaviors increase, and new behaviors set
in.

He has had trouble with Pepcid AC (making him extremely hyper).

He has had trouble with Prilosec, we've determined the problem to be
lactose.  It started taking two hours to fall asleep and every night
he'd wake up for two to three hours, and lastly over time he once again
stopped talking.

We tried zantac, and the sleep behaviors started right up, so we stopped
after three days.

Now we are trying mylanta over the counter when he has symptons.

His speech is imitational rather than spontaneous conversation.
Although he does request foods that he loves.

He has been on a very restricted diet of anti-yeast, anti-fungal, casein
and gluten free.  We are considering expanding his diet to the specific
carbo diet in the "breaking the vicious cycle" book by Elaine
Gottschall.

My question being has anyone had trouble with these medications?  What
have people used instead?

My son has limited foods.  I am nervous about expanding his variety of
foods and a bit overwhelmed with the reactions we have experienced with
the above mentioned medications.  He was challenged for six weeks with
gluten after not having gluten for nine months, they found esophagitus
and that is what we are trying to treat. The biopsies came back negative
for celiac, but we know better.  They took four biopsies of the small
intestine.  He is 3 and a half.

I will summarize all posts

Christine