From:
Carol D'Agostino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 13:43:27 -0500

Summary on Sweet Rice

Thanks everyone for your responses.

In answer to my inquiry about the nature of sweet rice and what
it is good for, I got the following responses:

Sweet rice's uses are limited due to it's special qualities. It's
also known as sticky rice or glutinous rice (not gluten). It is a
very starchy, gummy rice and should only be used in small
quantities in a recipe.  It's too heavy to use by itself.

Good for pie crusts, biscuits, gravy (thicker and better texture
than arrowroot or cornstarch), cookies

I use 1/3 sweet rice with 2/3 brown rice flour in waffles and
bread. It makes it less grainy.

Makes good breading for fried chicken; breaded chicken strips a
la Happy Meal big hit with child.

http://forums.delphi.com/celiac/messages/?msgh15%2E5
Go to this site and search for sweet rice flour on the search
button at the buttom of the left hand part of the screen.  Be
sure to ask for msgs from the beginning of the time from now.

******************

Purchase your Sweet Rice Flour at the Asian Food Market.  Sure to
beat Energy's price.  [about  $ .75 / lb.]  Use it in place of
cornstarch to make gravy.  You'll find that you'll be able to
freeze the gravy and it won't clump-up when you thaw it out.

I use sweet rice flour all the time in my Bette Hagman mix.  It
works best for cookies but I use it in coffeecakes and my muffins
and it makes them moist.  It does not work for bread or regular
cakes as it will make them gummy.

I have a label off of Ener-G's box of sweet rice.  There are 405
Calories in 1 cup which is similar to their regular rice which
has 430 Calories.  It is potato starch which has a whopping 900
Calories in 1 cup that really adds the lbs on.  Tapioca flour is
only 310 Calories.

************************

I use sweet rice flour in my flour substitute.  1 cup regular
white wheat flour = 3/4 cup white rice flour and 1/4 cup sweet
rice flour in regular recipes. It makes the product more moist.
I also add it with the corn meal in my cornbread recipe.

**************************

NEVER allow a flour mix to contain MORE than one-third total
content of Sweet (Glutinous) White Rice Flour.

A really good mixture of flours is:

1 Cup White Rice Flour
1 Cup "Sweet" White Rice Flour
1/2 Cup Potato Starch
1/2 Cup Corn Starch
1 Cup Jowar Flour (or Brown Rice Flour)

This mixture works great in Breads & Cakes.

Frozen food companies use it in sauces because it doesn't
separate after being frozen like other flours.

Read up on it in B. Hagman's books and also check the Joy of
Cooking (latest edition) for all sorts of ingredient info.

What I have done is altered Bette Hagman's gf flour mix to this:

2 cups brown rice flour
2 cups rice bran
2 cups sweet rice flour
2 cups potato starch
1 cup tapioca starch

I wanted to use brown rice and rice bran to make my baked goods
more nutritious. The sweet rice helps balance out the dryness of
the brown rice flour and rice bran.