From:
Denny, Dawn E <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 08:24:30 -0400

SUMMARY OF RESPONSES:

Many people stated that my symptoms all indicated celiac disease. The
symptoms also indicated nutrient/vitamin deficiencies due to mal-absorption.
Many also indicated the fatigue, hair loss might be due to hypothyroidism. [
This is true but I have been hypothyroid and on synthyroid since the age of

5...and lab reports indicate T3, T4, TSH all WNL ( within normal limits ). ]

Several people indicated that celiac disease is often found in people with
other autoimmune disorders ( Lupus, rheumatoid, unclassified, etc. ). A few
indicated that these other conditions are resulted from or were due to
sprue.....but there is also the theory that sprue is an autoimmune condition
itself, therefore individuals with Celiac Dx may also experience other
autoimmune conditions. [ I have elevated ESR and ANA and other lupus-like
symptomology currently on plaquenil ].

Also, many respondents strongly advised NOT initiating a GF diet until I
visited the gastroenterologist because it could cause false responses to
tests or the biopsy.

Most respondents also said that a totally GF diet should repair a majority
of the damage and "refractory sprue, or sprue that doesn't heal on the diet,
is extremely rare. Other indicated it depends on how long the disease was
active and you as an individual.

Thanks to all who responded. I see the gastroeneterologist in 2 weeks.

 Dawn

information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA)
that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally
privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity named in this message.  If you are not the intended recipient,
by e-mail and then delete it.