From:
William Merrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 1996 10:58:58 -0500

In light of the recent discussions regarding this topic,I felt it necessary
to share my experience with those on the list who are experiencing confusion
about the proper way to receive Holy Communion.  In 1992 CSA/USA urged
members to write to the National Conference of Bishops which was meeting in
early November to explain our plight and hopefully receive some direction.
 That same month, I received a letter from the Executive Director of the
Committee on the Liturgy, Rev. Ronald F. Krisman who stated and I quote:  "It
should be noted that those Catholics who suffer from Celiac Sprue disease but
are able to receive Holy Communion under the form of the consecrated wine
should inform their pastors of their condition and insist on their Christian
right to receive the Holy Eucharist in this manner even when Communion under
both kinds is not offered to all communicant at the Masses they attend."  I
would be happy to send a xerox copy of the full letter to anyone who requests
it.  This arrangement has worked out very well for me.  I will have to tell
you that not being able to fully participate in the Holy Sacrifice of the
Mass was the most difficult of this life style change for me.  I was
diagnosed for four years before receiving this letter and it was truly a gift
from God.  My home parish, a local Shrine where I attend during the week and
my local Bishop have been very supportive - and as a side note, I had one man
a member of AA who inquired of me why I was the only one to receive from my
own small cup stated that he would rather have his disease than mine when I
explained the reason to him.  I do not want to take any more space here -
hope this has been helpful.  God bless  ----