From:
Lynn Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:16:16 -0500

To add my two cents worth, in my experience it can sometimes just take a
very long time to get better.

When my three year old daughter was diagnosed, we were led by the gi doc to
believe we would see an almost immediate, miraculous recovery when she went
gf.  Instead, she also seemed to worsen temporarily, esp. in terms of
abdominal pain (which she had not expressed prior to going gf); and also
emotional/psychological symptoms of having "fits" that looked like childhood
schizophrenia.  (you can imagine the panic this caused in us - and when the
doctor and her staff blew us off and told us she probably had the flu - time
for a new doc!).

This worsening lasted about 4 - 6 weeks.  then she made a marked improvement
in behavior/ emotional functioning, but her physical recovery continued to
take a long time.  She did not get over her diarrhea for about 7-9 months.
She did not start to grow again for almost one year.

She ate very simple basic foods during this time - mostly plain white rice,
which she wanted about 6 times a day.  She also ate lots of yogurt, plain
chicken or hamburger, and she craved fresh raw carrots and watermelon.

By the time she entered kindergarten, almost three years post diagnosis, she
was "caught up" in terms of growth and development, and looked like a normal
child.  she now does eat commercial gf foods with gums, and our home-cooked
baked goods (into which I pack as many healthful ingredients as possible -
ground nuts and seeds, flaxseed meal, soy flour and bean flour, pumpkin,
zuccini, carrots, etc.)

I'm no medical expert, so I can't explain why this recovery took so long; I
just offer this observation.  In our case the gf diet did fix it, it just
felt like it took forever.  Lynn