From:
Sherri T Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:17:47 -0400

Last week I posted the following message:

<<<My daughter is going to a party tomorrow where they will have Cheetos.

I searched the archives to find if they were gf. Apparently they are on
Frito Lays' gf list, but several posts indicated that they really were
not gf.

What I would like to know is, does anyone know of a cheetos-like snack
that IS gf?>>>

Thank you to all who replied! I got 27 replies.

8 people reported that they or someone in their family ate Cheetos with
no problems. Here are some of the replies:

We have never had a problem with Cheetos, but FRITOS always cause GI
problems.

They are Gf. I received a list from them last week. U.S.
---
Several people said that the problem might be cross-contamination. Here
is one reply:

Cheetos are gluten-free, but I believe run on the same line as gluten
products. Frito-Lays cleans the lines, but warns about residue that could
remain.
---
Most of the respondents recommended one or more other brands, with snacks
from Robert's American Gourmet getting the most votes. Here is an
alphabetical list of the recommended brands::
---
There is a Cheecha Krackles from Ener-G Foods (I believe).  You can get
it through Cecilia's Grocery--you can get a lot through her.
---
Barbaras natural cheesepuffs  & Jalapeno cheese puffs
---
Bearitos crunchitos & lite cheddar puffs
---
Cheese Crunchies

Trader Joes has a tasty Cheeto-like snack.  I think they're called Cheese
Crunchies.  Check out their gluten-free list.  They have an East coast
and West Coast list.  We eat these all the time.
http://www.traderjoes.com/tj/products/brochures/glutenfree_west.stm

"Reduced Fat Cheese Chrunchies Sorry if this is late but the BEST cheetos
that are gf are from the health  food store and they are called
crunchitos by little bear they are organic and better than the junk!!
ENJOY!

Little Bear Organic Foods All Natural Crunchitos.  They look and taste
exactly like Cheetos.  No gluten and 33% less fat.  I bought them at my
health food store but on the package there is a website:
www.westbrae.com.
---
I've tried Granny Goose brand of "cheetos-like" snacks and have had
success. I've never called the company to confirm their GF status though.

---
Health valley cheddar lites corn puffs & cheese puff bakes
---
Planters: Cheez Balls and Cheez Curls (regular flavor only, for both)
---
Robert's American Gourmet. Products:
Pirate Booty
Personality Puffs with white cheddar (found at our So. CA Jamba Juice
store)
Smart Puffs

Contact info for Robert's American Gourmet:
P.O Box 67
Roslyn Heights,N.Y. 11577
1-800-626-7557
www.RobGourmet.com
---
Yes I do know of a Cheetos snack that is gluten-free.  It is Michael
Season's "The Ultimate Cheddar Crunchy Cheese Curls" and they look
exactly like Cheetos.  They confirmed their gluten-free status to me and
we sell them in our store.  They sell for $2.69 for an 8-ounce package.
If you have any questions please give me a call toll free at
1-888-993-9933.

Regards,
-- Linda Kramer
    Gluten-Free Trading Company
    604A W. Lincoln Avenue
    Milwaukee, WI  53215
---
.Snyder of Berlin: Cheese Curls
---
Ultra Slim-Fast: Cheese Curls (I've seen these at all our markets)
---
Wise Cheese Doodles are gluten free.
---

Happy Crunching!