From:
Bob Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2013 13:43:00 -0400

I am new to this listserv but have been involved in the Sjogren' Syndrome listserv for a number of years. I have both diseases and was nearly dying from Celiac before it was diagnosed (losing over 40 pounds).
I was impressed by Tricia Thompson's research on gluten in beer. I keep to the gluten-free diet for one exception - beer. Gluten-free beer tastes like kerosene to me so I drink the common beer. I am aware of brewers claim that the brewing process and filtering removes the gluten from beer, Sapporo and Bud for instance. Well, for me the final test is my body and I drink it without any detectable effect. I even had a ttg run after drinking a couple of beers and that test was negative. I have come to believe that everyone with Celiac may well have a different degree of tolerance of gluten before the disease is triggered. I do take L-Glutamine powder each day.
I quite a support group for being treated like an outcast for not using separate cooking utensils and eating products manufactured in a facility that processes wheat products. The cross contaminated scare is more than I  can take. I do the cooking and I am careful.
I am 76 years old and there are few pleasures I still relish but drinking beer is one of them, not that I drink that much, so if it kills me, well, I am set to live out my years under the sun with the wife of youth.
Bob in VA

*******
*******