From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2007 08:45:31 -0400

Other interesting and informative replies to the question about why
people resist testing for celiac:
Additional ideas & experiences:

1. My brother (who has been dx with DH) will not be tested as he
changes jobs often and he does not want the dx in his medical records.

2. Although (they) appear to be symptom-free, my sisters urged their
doctors to order the blood test.  Thankfully both came back negative.
They were glad for that but said "ouch" over the out-of-pocket
expense for the test that wasn't picked up by their insurance.  I
think if they had known ahead of time that the test was going to cost
them upwards of $400, they would have held off on having it done
until they developed symptoms (hoping that wouldn't happen).

3. Lack of health insurance.

4. I think anything related to "bowel" problems is to be avoided
like.......well........poop.

5. People are lazy.  Until they can see the long term effect on their
health, they won't do a thing.

6. A very sad story from one list member, whose sister continued to
lose weight after her cancer was in remission: resisted testing
because "I don't want to have that disease, I have seen what you have
gone through, I am too sick to deal with it." Finally she did get a
diagnosis, was on a gf diet for about six months, gaining weight and
feeling better, but the cancer came back and she subsequently died.
The list member who contributed this story naturally wonders if the
outcome might have been different had her sister's health not also
been compromised by celiac.

......and a story about just how far into the sand a head can go:

7. I have a client who I'm close with so over the last 18 months of
my new improved life, she's learned a lot about Celiac. I thought her
interest was odd actually. Then one day she said she was sure her
husband must have Celiac and asked me to send her websites where she
could read the medical facts about it. I did and she then got him
some gf beer. It didn't give him a headache like normal beer does but
he didn't care for the taste. Now it's like oh well, I guess he
doesn't have it. Only the husband has serious 'stomach' issues and
always has. They take two cars to the same events because he'll
probably have to go home early to spend time in the bathroom. But oh
no - he must not have it......because he doesn't like gf beer.

All of this leads to yet another question: what's our best approach?
A few people took the original question to the next step. That
summary is in my final installment.

Mary B.
NYC