From:
Barrie Rissman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 21:28:52 -0400

From the volume of email I got in reply to my request for listmate's
experiences with the upper endoscopy procedure, just about everyone must
have had at least one! I thank you from the bottom of my heart, everyone,
for your helpful replies. My HMO doc explained nothing about the procedure,
so I didn't know what to expect.

First, a little about my experience, and then I will summarize the replies
with a few representative samples. I remember nothing about the procedure! I
was given Versed (amnesia drug) and another drug whose name I can't remember
(I was told by the nurse inserting the IV that it would be Demerol, but the
anesthesia assistant said it was something else...I think it started with an
"F.") The doctor sprayed my throat twice to numb it, and that's the last
thing I remember until I woke up. I think they kicked me out of the recovery
room in record time....couldn't have been more than 10 minutes. I was a
little sleepy when I got home, but could easily have stayed awake if I
wanted to. I had absolutely no sore throat, unlike many others on the list,
but I did have a lot of gas shooting around inside!

My main problem with the procedure is that my doctor didn't do the biopsies
as suggested by knowledgeable celiac researchers. He took only a few
samples, none from the jejunum, and not enough from the duodenum. He also
doesn't use any of the labs recommended for diagnosing CD. I belong to
Kaiser Permanente, and they do things their way only! I was GF for over a
year before the test (no thanks to doctors....I had to figure out myself
what was causing me all the problems), so I did a gluten challenge before
the endoscopy...but only for two weeks because that's all the time I had.
The upshot of all this is I will probably not get an accurate diagnosis, but
I intend to remain GF. Those two weeks of horrible symptoms convinced me of
that! I have a colonoscopy scheduled for July...not looking forward to that.

Here are some typical responses from listmates, and a few atypical ones at
the end.  It seems the type of anesthesia or sedation administered makes a
difference. I highly recommend being "out"!

Thanks again to everyone,
Barrie

The upper endoscopy is a relative "Piece of Cake" (GF of course).  Much
easier than the colonoscopy (ewwww), I was put under for both procedures.
The day after I had a bit of a sore throat, but that was my only lingering
effect.  It's over before you realize it

 You are conscious and awake for the procedure, but you won't remember or
feel a thing.  My doctor said it's like when you fall asleep on the sofa and
you can hear the TV, but you're not really awake.

My test was done at 8 am and I was out by 8:40.  Of course I didn't
remember a thing and suffered no discomfort during or after. Of all the
tests I have had this past year, this was the easiest.

Apparently, the medicine they use knocks you out and obliterates your
memory, but it allows you to breathe on your own and to follow
directions.  The doctor will ask you to swallow a tube he puts down your
throat when you are asleep, and apparently, patients generally comply
with no problem.  After the procedure, I didn't feel sleepy, although
when I did lie down for a nap later, I slept a few hours.  My stomach
hurt just a little for a day, and my throat hurt for a few days.  But,
nothing was debilitating.

I was sedated under local anesthesia for the procedure and did not feel
anything.  AND I did not feel any discomfort in my stomach after the
procedure at all.  I was groggy for most of the day so you may want to take
the day off from work and take it easy - I was very tired and out of it all
day. The whole procedure is a matter of minutes but I was in the doctor's
office for about an hour until I was able to move about and walk on my own.
I do recommend that you have someone there with you to help you walk after
and then drive you home.

The only discomfort I had was a full feeling -- a VERY full feeling --
due to the air that they blow into the stomach and intestine to puff it
up so they can move around down there.  Wear loose fitting pants,
preferable sweat pants.  I only remember the full feeling and, once I
belched and it went away, I was out again.  Worrying about it was worse
than the procedure.

this is very important!!!  BE SURE TO TELL YOUR GI TO GET AT LEAST 8-10
BIOPSIES FROM DIFFERENT SITES !!  Frequently in celiac, the damage is
scattered and frequently people are misdiagnosed as not having celiac
because the damage was missed.  Also, be sure that the samples are sent
to an experienced lab to be read.  They are frequently misread in the
lab also.  As far as the procedure, they start an IV, and give you a
sedative and you are not aware of the procedure.  It is over before you
know it, and you may have a scratchy throat and be a little groggy but
that is about it.

I was given a combination of 2 drugs (demerol and something else), by
IV, and on the first one, I was completely asleep.  On the second one, I
was more awake (tho supposedly I'd been given the same drug
combination).  I felt a little queasy midway, but it was very manageable
and as soon as they were done, that sensation went away.

it is uncomfortable but very bearable.  I was given a small dose of
valium to relax me but was awake and aware of what was going on.  It
only lasts a few minutes.  My throat was sprayed to numb it from feeling
the scope go down my throat.  Something is put in your mouth to keep it
open and the scope is fed through it.  At times I felt like gagging, but
only because I knew what was being done.  It is over quite quickly.

I have had 5 of these and I was "out"  for all but the last one.  I think my
dr was in a hurry and didn't wait for the anesthetic to take effect- I felt
quite a lot of discomfort at first until I was totally out.

During my endoscopy, I was in what they call twilight.  I remember it but it
did minimize the discomfort.  The discomfort that I remember with it was
because of my choking as they pushed the equipment down the throat.  I have
that reflex where I choke sometimes when they put a tongue depressor in my
mouth so I remember that well.

The doctor laid me down, explained the endoscopy process, the nurse gave
me an IV, said "lie on your side" and I was out. It was very difficult
to wake up and I ended up sleeping for the next sixteen hours.

I reacted negatively to one of the medications that I was given during
the endoscopy procedure, and started vomiting about 2 hours after
leaving the endoscopy center.

I was "asleep" until close to the end which was probably the worst part.
I felt like I was punched in the gut a couple of times as they tried to
get it in farther for the last couple of biopsies, but still being
groggy I really didn't mind too much.