From:
Susan Pieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 1995 16:33:57 MST

I have been lurking around here since I was diagnosed last summer (studying
for my orals, as it were), and want to thank everyone for the infinitely
valuable information here, as well as the feeling of being *connected* to
something. I especially appreciated the anniversary time, and the honor and
respect for those who had the dedication to make this such a valuable
resource. I downloaded all the back files, and have (presumably) read
everything that's been on this list!

I have made the acquaintence of one other celiac person here in town, and
feel there is a real lack of knowledge here, so feel a campaign coming on
when I truly feel better.

Fortunately, I live where we have lots of God's food--pinto beans, red and
green chile--and I've started making my own corn tortillas. There's nothing
like the smell of fresh corn tortillas. All it takes is some masa and water
(4 c. masa makes about 2 doz tortillas--add enough water so it's about like
pie dough). Let rest for 20 min., then roll into balls and smash 'em flat
with something. A tortilla press runs from $8 to $16 around here--they
probably can be found in health food stores, gourmet shops, whatever. If
not, the traditional way was to pat them with your hands or use a piece of
a broom handle as a rolling pin. Then you simply cook them on a griddle or
skillet until they're done (stop steaming, change color a little bit). They
reheat super-well in the microwave, or can be frozen for some other time.

Pinto beans--put 'em in a pan, cover with water, bring to a boil. Take off
burner and let sit for 30 min. Then, using a colander, rinse, and rinse,
and rinse, and rinse them--that diminishes the gas problem! Put back on the
stove, cover with water, and cook until you're ready to eat them! At this
altitude, I often cook them overnight and have them for lunch the next day.
Couple of tortillas on the side -- yum! (You notice there's no salt in
either--and no lard or anything people make refried beans with.) Pintos
also can freeze well--we just make a large batch and keep on hand for meals
when no one wants to cook.

Enchilada sauce--the traditional way around here is to get a bunch of red
chiles, remove stems & seeds, boil 'em till they're soft, and then use the
blender to make sauce of them. I've never tried this, but I know it's been
done a zillion times! No additives, no vinegar, no nothing, but pure chile!

Salsa--chop up a can of canned tomatoes, then add a can of chopped green
chile. Strength depends on yours--some like it hot, some not so hot!

Green enchiladas--mix up the g-f soup base equivalent to 2 cans of soup,
grate cheese of your choice, mix chile, cheese, chunks of chicken/turkey,
and soup together, layer with a dozen tortillas in a casserole dish. Top
off with some extra cheese and bake at 350 deg. for an hour or so.

Ooh, I'm making myself hungry! For dessert, just brush/spray a teeny bit of
butter-flavored something on chips cut from tortillas, bake until crisp,
then shake in bag with 1/2 c. sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon.

Haven't tried flour tortillas yet. You can make a fine burrito from the
corn ones if you make them big enough. Sopaipillas (one of my family's
traditional treats) are probably just going to be a lovely memory.

Finally, an observation on my gluten-free bread efforts. Sometimes all you
can say is "MGT"--makes good toast!

Susan Pieper ([log in to unmask])
Las Cruces, NM
"To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else." E.
Dickinson