From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:07:51 -0700

Hi All--

I'm hoping someone on this fabulous list of knowledgeable people can help me with an issue neither I (nor my doctors) seem able to understand.

I've been a dx'd celiac for five years, but have been symptomatic all of my life. I went from symptomatic with relatively low-level discomfort to crisis events following gallbladder surgery. Two years prior to my dx, I went through a nine-month period in which I occasionally experienced hypersomnia - sleeping 48 hours at a time, followed by another 12 hours of cognitive confusion - unable to figure out what to do while watching a plastic container melt on a hot burner. During those sleep periods, I was urine incontinent - just didn't wake up when my bladder was full.

I went through neurological testing for seizures, tests to evaluate bladder function, tests for MS, sleep disorder (already dx'd with periodic limb movement disorder), etc. Gradually, these periods of hypersomnia and incontinence faded away and all of the tests returned normal results.

Now I'm experiencing nocturnal incontinence again, but without the hypersomnia. Given that celiac disease can cause neurological problems, I'm wondering if any other adults on the list have experienced this symptom. Also, if anyone knows, is adult nocturnal incontinence a neurological or central nervous system issue - or are both the same thing? I consistently show a high viral load to Epstein-Barre, HHV-6, CMV when titers are run, even when I'm not actively ill, so one of my docs commented that we needed to be careful to minimize central nervous system damage. Is there evidence that celiac disease is linked to central nervous system abnormalities?

Any personal experiences or information on this subject would be greatly appreciated. I'll be glad to summarize if anyone is interested. Needless to say, besides being embarrassing, this issue is troublesome. Since I don't show any symptoms of bladder dysfunction, I have to assume there is another underlying issue. If this is yet another possible result of celiac disease, I'll learn to live with it, but if it's not, I would like to know what's causing it.

Thanks for any and all thoughts or opinions.

Cheers,
Ayn in Alabama