From:
Leslie Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leslie Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jul 2011 12:01:25 -0400

Thank you to everyone who sent suggestions.  Since the troop will be ultra-lite backpacking, cans of tuna and other heavier foods/items will not work for them,  but it turns out there are some good freeze dried options for celaics.

Summary for Philmont:

Backpacker's Pantry
http://www.backpackerspantry.com/pdf/FoodAllergensChart.pdf  and Natural

High Foods
http://www.tyry.com/allProducts/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=132_92
have GF dehydrated options.

Jo Panyko (Bailey), BS, MNT
Master Nutrition Therapist
303-549-6818
www.chrysalisnutritionandhealth.com
NOTE: The services provided are not intended as diagnosis, treatment,
prescription or cure for any physical or mental disease, nor are they
intended as a substitute for regular medical care.

This is a list of all food items (with ingredients) that Philmont serves the campers on the trails. This might help you look for substitutes like gluten free granola bars or breakfast bars and trail mix.

*Note-I’m attempting to attach the list to the summary, which is 5 pages long. If it doesn’t work, and you would like a copy send me a note and I will forward it to you.

Wilderness dining website

http://www.wildernessdining.com/gl.html

I've never tried these

gletenfreeda make wheat free gluten free instant oatmeal

 GF macaroni and cheese (I like Annie's)
 Other gluten-free pasta
 Potato flakes (I use Idahoan)
 dried fruit and nuts
 GF pancake and/or biscuit mix
 Freeze dried onion flakes (mix in pancakes or scratch recipes)
 Some hard cheese (a wax covered ball of gouda or provolone or
 "farmer's" cheese)
 Freeze dried veggies of any kind.
 Gluten-free crispbread would be a big help, but I have not seen
 in the US.  Haven't looked much.  It probably exists.
 Jerky
 Canned or pouched items like tuna, chicken.
 As much fresh food as he can carry

 Breakfast might be pancakes, dried meat, fresh or dry potatoes.

 Lunch and trail snacks would be dried fruit and nuts, hard cheese,
 and crispbread.

 For dinner creative combinations of things he can carry.