From:
MRS JUDY A PULLING <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 1996 20:26:36 -0500

My daughter made the GF beer from the recipe developed by Eric
Constans. It's time consuming but worth it according to Kelly. My
husband makes non GF beer and after reading his brewing books, I think
it would help to get one for brewing techiniques only before trying the
GF brew. We also found the following info. The EDME yeast (dry) is one
of the few that is GF. Also the recipe called for liquid rice syrup.
This is also GF, however SPS said that all the powdered rice sugar they
checked on was NOT GF. According to our beer book, all rice powderes
contain barley malt.  Brewing notes: After the beer had been bottled 2
weeks, it lacked carbonation and flavor. After 3 weeks, good
carbonation but still weak on flavor. In fact, although it smelled like
regular beer, it had a somewhat grapefruity flavor. After 4 weeks,
tasted fantastic!!!! Totally changed between week 3 and 4. Infact
Kelly's soon to be husband said "No more Bud lite, I like this
better"!!! At this point, no more reports, as it's all gone. Kelly did
say that a good GF beer and Crispy GF pizza was heaven!. Two more notes
on reactions: Kelly had a mild discomfort after having 1 beer several
days in a row. However, she also had the same discomfort after eating
alot of yeast breads around the holidays. The only common ingredients
are sugar and yeast. She's now looking into that problem. She did say
that the reaction was not like having ingested a hidden gluten.  Randy
(The soon to be husband) usually gets a severe headache after 1 regular
beer. No headache after the GF beer. Happy brewing, Judy