From:
Liz Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:46:12 +0100

GENERAL INFO/ADVICE RE FOOD IN MOROCCO
Couscous (one of the national dishes of Morocco) is made from wheat -
therefore don't eat it (several people posted this advice).
They eat all their meals with bread, usually using bread as a utensil to
scoop up their food.
Always insist when ordering that you do not want bread as sometimes it comes
as a compliment under a grilled chicken or with the dish.
Cross contamination from couscous or pita bread is probably a big issue.
You must be careful that the fish is not breaded.
You are always safest with grilled meats and saute vegetables.
Avoid soups, except lentil soup which is safe.
I would check on the meatballs.
Be careful.  Drink and only use bottled water.

SUGGESTED GF OPTIONS
You should find lots of dishes that are naturally gluten free.
The food was generally very good.  Lots of fruit and salads.
You can usually get a hard boiled egg at breakfast.
Fresh dates and almonds from the markets as backup foods.
Their homemade yogurt is fantastic - great by itself or on GF cereal in the
morning.
Salad, nuts, veg.'s and fruit.
A lot of their food is similar to a stew (cooked in a pot called a
tajine/tagine) .
I often resorted to chips (fried potatoes).
I was able to get rice and vegetables quite often and meat brochettes.
Moroccan rice pudding (has rose petals added just before serving)
Hinbeh is dandelion flowers fried in olive oil, and served with a salad.
They sell fantastic tagines/tajines in Morocco,so you could always buy one
and cook something for yourself.

SUGGESTIONS RE ITEMS TO BRING
Home made granola
A couple of small tins of salmon for emergencies
GF protein bars for hiking.
Powdered soy milk to mix just in case (this was from soemone who can't take
milk)
An Immersion Heater (for heating water in a cup)
Antiseptic hand cleaner

RE THE NOODLES SERVED IN RICE
As I recall, the squiggles are pieces of wheat flour dropped in fat.
Those little noodles are called shaareyah and I am sure that they are made
from wheat.  Always ask for rice without the noodles.
 That is called orzo and it is wheat, the little oval shaped things. They
are technically a pasta.
The little noodles on top of the rice are also wheat, they are called
"sheariya".

COMMUNICATION
They are very friendly people and a lot of English is spoken.
They try very hard to please you.
Some had a hard time reading French. I would suggest the restaurant cards in
Arabic as well.
Here's the link to the free restaurant cards in many languages for printing
out -   http://www.celiactravel.com/restaurant-cards.html
http://www.celiactravel.com/gluten-free-cards/03-arabic.html
I never tried explaining cross contamination.
There is a Glossary of Arabic Terms relating to food at
http://almashriq.hiof.no/general/600.technology/640.home_economics_and_famil
y_living...

OTHER
I also received info about a few specific places, some general travel advice
and some other info about the country not related to GF issues.  To save
space I did not include those details in the above summary but would be
happy to send them to anyone off-list.

Many thanks to all who replied.  I really appreciate everyone's help and
support in my preparation for this trip.

Best GF wishes,
Liz Ward, Dublin, Ireland